Author Topic: Sparrow Family of Staffordhsire  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Wolfe55Tone

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sparrow Family of Staffordhsire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 July 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps one of you might be interested in my 4th ggf Thomas Sparrow. I have found a little family history blurb from a Gifford family that is connected to my Sparrow family. In the blurb, it says that Thomas came from Stafforshire, was a Grenadier for the British during the Germantown and Brandywine conflicts. At this time, he is said to have met his wife, nee Elizabeth Palmer, living near Germantown.  It also reports that Elizabeth's second husband, surname of Brown, was died during the conflict in Germantown. Before that, she supposedly was married to someone by the name of Lambert. 
Thomas fell in love with her and married her 3 Mar 1778 in Gloria Dea Church (Old Swedes Church) in Philadelphia - I have found this record. He is said to have then worked for the Americans as a courier - I have found this record.
However, of his death in Chestertown, Kent, Maryland in 1825 - I have found nothing. And, have found nothing at all about his wife, Elizabeth. According to the family history blurb, she had 4 children. I had assumed that my 3rd ggf, George Sparrow (1780-1871) was a biological son of Thomas Sparrow. He still may be. But, so far, none of my DNA matches connect to my Sparrow family.
As there is a well know family by the name of Sparrow in Maryland and a silversmith by the name of Thomas Sparrow, I am finding it difficult to determine where and to what Sparrow family my 4th gggf belongs.
If you seem to be missing a Thomas Sparrow born about 1748 in Staffordshire, perhaps we can find a connection. Fingers crossed. Susan