Author Topic: place name help please  (Read 10634 times)

Offline cowslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: place name help please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 20:45 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty certain that this is Mynyddygarreg, a small village just outside Kidwelly in Carmarthenshire.

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cowslip,     Many thanks for that information, that name sounds familiar, as I was only about 6years old when I lived in Wales and I am now very near 70, the mist of time has clouded the memory.
              I am pleased to say that I have managed to contact a twice removed nephew,but he could'nt help with any information further back than his parents.
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline cowslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 March 05 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pandora,
Pleased to hear you have made a link with someone.I visit Mynyddygarreg from time to time and have some elderly contacts there. Let me know if you would like me to check on anything for you.
Regards Cowslip

Offline gpaul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Pandora,this is definitely Mynyddygarreg just a few miles outside Kidwelly,in fact it's between kidwelly and four roads,where you mentioned trimsaran and pembrey are only a few miles apart,so this is definitly the one that you want,Regards gpaul

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 April 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. I recieved my grandparents marriage cert today, and I hit the jackpot after hours of searching.My grandfather was born in Bryncaerau, Trimsaren, Pembray, and my grandmother in Mynyddygarrag, Llangendeirne. Are these places close together? Now I am jaust starting to work backwards, but that is even harder. The Jones surname is a Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Thanks again
 Pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline gpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 April 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Pandora,Mynyddygarreg I think comes under the parish of llangendeirne,but is closer to kidwelly than llangendeirne,the distance between Trimsaran and Mynyddygarreg  is about 4- 5 miles.Is Bryncaerau a name of a farm?

gpaul.

Offline gpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 April 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Pandora,Have a look at these websites you'll find trimsaran on here,plus all the other surrounding places you want. http://www.aboutbritain.com/maps/llanelli-map.asp
http://maps.google.co.uk/

gpaul.

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 April 06 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi gpaul, I don't think it is the name of a farm, because my granfathers and his  father are listed as a coal miners. On my grandmothers death certificate, my grandfather is listed as colliery deputy whatever job that was, and this was probably at Trimsaren mine. I remember as a child being able to climb over the barrier at the bottom of the garden and walk a little way along the railway track to the shunting shed to watchthe engines. (with my grandfather, not on my own I was only about 5yrs old, now I'm ancient ) The last time I there in my teens it was all being open cast mined, probably all been built on now
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 April 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Pandora

If you don't find the places on the sites gpaul mentioned, or you want more detail, you could try an address search on http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Use the enlarged version once you have found a likely result.

I hope this helps, kind regards

Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)