Author Topic: place name help please  (Read 10609 times)

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
place name help please
« on: Sunday 07 November 04 02:27 GMT (UK) »
This is what appears to be the place name on my G.mothers death certificate as her place of birth ==Myuyddygowy, Carmarthen. Can anyone please tell me where this place is, it would be a great help. Many thanks
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: place name help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 04 02:07 GMT (UK) »
whatever it is , it will not be spelt like that. At a guess, it may  read "MynyddyGarreg" ( What looks like an  "o" maybe an A and your "W" maybe   R's, and the Y could be a  G) , which is a place near Kidwelly I believe, which in turn falls into carmarthen.

The first part of your word is probably  Mynydd y something. ( N's look like U's in many writing styles in those days. I don't know why they wrote the  N's like that back then, but nearly everything I have and seen the N's tend to be  written like the way  U's are written today)

Maybe you could post up the image of the address part, and see if anyone can work out what it says. But Myuydd is all wrong in Welsh, it will  most probably read  Mynydd -y -"something"

The place  called " Mynydd - y -Garreg" ("Mynyddygarreg),  kidwelly area   is my  best guess ( but it could be Mynydd y "anything") at what it may actually read without seeing the writing

Hope that is of some help :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 04 08:25 GMT (UK) »
There are no registration districts in Caermarthen that could apply. Most of the places that begin with Mynydd are just that - hills or small mountains where nobody lived. There are a couple of parishes like Mynydd y Garreg [various spellings back then] or Mynydd y Betws. You should post the image here but the probability is that Cell is right.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for youe help. The Kidwelly area sounds right to me. The address  I remember from when I was a child was =14 New Houses, Trimsaran, Nr Kidwelly, Carmarthen, this was then changed to 15 Heol Morlais, Trimsaran, Pembray, Carmarthen, Sorry I cant post a picture, my scanner is playing up. THANKS ONCE AGAIN
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Scanner sorted, here is the extract. maybe you can understand it. thanks
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
its definitely Mynyddygowey, which written in separate words is Mynydd y Gowey.

As previously said, Mynydd is mountain. Gowey is the Anglicised spelling of Gowy, the river.

Translated it would mean "Mountain of the Gowy", which doesn't really make sense, and I couldn't find it anywhere either. I'm not an expert on Carmarthen though.

This is a list of parishes in Carms, from the Genuki site:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/indexpars.html

If I find out any more, I'll let you know.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, it seems that it is somewhere around Kidwelly area,but as I was only about 5years old when I lived there, the memory has faded a little. I have only just started my research and this site was my first port of call. I cant find anything on the 1901 cencus so its probably because I had the name spelt wrongly
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that the person filling out the death cert could have got the place name where she was born wrong? Does that ever happen? Just another  thought, idea.

I can't seem to find any Mynyddygowey or mynyddygowy either, I even tried a seach on the names  in the historical directories site.. no results for either of those names that I found, with or without hyphens.

Have you tried finding a birth entry for her ( record offices or you can search the pay for view 1837 site ) so you can order her birth certificate? which may throw some light onto it. The birth cert  should tell you  the address of the house ( if born in a house that is) and  where  she was  born
 I've tried the free BMD but there seems to be no Mary Ann Harris's births listed for that year in Carmarthenshire  on there.

:)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I seem to have hit a brick wall, nothig comes up anywhere, so I am off to look at the Gov site, to see if that will help. thanks
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent