Author Topic: Help! I'm Stuck!!!!  (Read 2678 times)

Offline manga

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help! I'm Stuck!!!!
« on: Sunday 07 November 04 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if there is anyone out here who would be kind enough to help me track down the birth or christening of a William Gray Matheson, who according to his headstone should have been born abt june 1826 (if he was telling the truth about his age!). All i know is that he was born in edinburgh and his father was also a william, but do not have any details as to his mother. Me married a Mary Laidlaw Hay 2/9/1852 in both Canongate Scroll Reg, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland and Barony, Lanark Scotland, but according to the Glasgow 1861 census, William stated he was from Edinburgh. william came out to Australia sometime before 1884 without his wife, so I assume she died, but have no idea when and where. If anyone can help me with William's birth, or even Mary's death, it would be greatly appreciated, as I have hit a dead end with this family.

Thanks
Sherrie
Australia

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I'm Stuck!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 December 04 21:36 GMT (UK) »
hi sherrie have you tried searching on the Scotlandspeople website it costs 6pounds u.k. about $15 aussie it's a secure site and very searchable good value you get 48hours to use up your research points i have had lots of good finds there they have all the scottish records..happy hunting... helen
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 December 04 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sherrie

The marriage records (as on the IGI in 2 parishes) would relate to the partners coming from 2 different parishes. They may only be the records of the banns in each parish. If you looked at the films at your local LDS you may be able to determine where the actual marriage took place (they may however, give no other information).

The IGI has a William born 3 July 1824 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh Parents William and Margaret Clapperton and also another 24 July 1825 Inveresk With Musselburgh, Midlothian, Scotland - William and Janet Henderson.

There is also a record of one child on the IGI
William John 16 JUN 1859   Kilbarchan, Renfrew, Scotland

This is after civil registration so you would be able to download the image from ScotlandsPeople (mentioned by Helen). Alternatively the LDS has fiche you could order (which goes to 1875 and could include Mary's death)

I have also found much information on Scotlands people - but note that names are often misspelt, so using wildcards in the searches is very useful. I also search the IGI (free)  before ScotlandsPeople as many of the old parish records are on both.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I did a quick search on Scotlands people and I am afraid there was no William born around those dates... the only Williams I could find were the following...

19 Sep 1851 MATHESON WILLIAM MACKENZ
DAVID MATHESON
MARGARET STEWART MACKENZIE
FR4295
M
EDINBURGH
685/01 0061

19 Mar 1840 MATHESON WILLIAM
JAMES MATHESON
MARGARET WILLIAMSON
FR4586
M
EDINBURGH
685/01 0058

21 Aug 1847 MATHESON JAMES WILLIAM
P ALEXANDER MATHESON
MARGARET MACLEOD
FR4731
M
EDINBURGH
685/01 0059

sorry I could not help more...
Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland