Author Topic: Trevanions  (Read 33340 times)

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trevanions
« on: Saturday 23 September 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
I have picked the Sussex site as a number of the Trevanion family lived in Bexhill. Here is my stumbling block-- Charles Cecil Trevanion died 1st Oct 1950 (The Times) His 1st wife was Sybil Mary Parke-Seaton by whom he had a son Hugh Charles Seaton Trevanion who married Mary Hope Stacy & lived Blackboys Sx.
I cannot find a death for the 1st wife yet in a Times Obituary there is recorded the death of Florence wife of Charles Cecil Trevanion & mother of Joanna Trevanion. The missing details are proving difficult & any help would be much appreciated.
Vesta

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Trevanions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 06 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Vesta

Sybil died before Dec 1936 ...

The Times, Wednesday, Dec 09, 1936; pg. 17; Issue 47553; col B
Fortcoming Marriages
MR H C S TREVANION and MISS STACEY
The engagement is announced between Hugh Charles Seaton, only
son of Mr. C.C. Trevanion, of 12, Vicarage Gardens, Kensington,
and the late Mrs. (Sybil) Trevanion, and Mary Hope, elder daughter
of Mrs. Stacey of Rottingdean, Sussex, and the late Major G A
Stacey D S O

The use of parantheses "(Sybil)" suggests that Charles had already remarried (to Florence) otherwise the item would have caused confusion about the identity of "the late Mrs Trevanion".

Hugh was born 20 May 1912 (from his GRO Deaths Index entry).

His step-mother Florence was born 12 November 1891 (from her GRO Deaths entry). In view of her age, we can assume that Charles married her sometime after 1921.

So ... Sybil's death should have been registered between 1921 and 1936.

If we knew when Joanna was born, this would help narrow the search (for the second marriage) and therefore the year of Sybil's death.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 06 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Vesta

I have noted that Florence's obituary (died 18 Jan 1980) mentions "dear mother of Joanna".

Have you searched the birth indexes for Joanna?  What about the overseas birth indexes?

If there are no entries in either of those, I wonder if it's possible that Joanna was the daughter of a previous relationship and not Mr TREVANION?

Have you searched the overseas death indexes for "Sybil"?

Have you looked for will for both Charles Cecil and Florence?

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 06 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dave for this valuable help. Did her(Florence) death record give her maiden name by any chance.
Can I ask another question on "How to do something"
I need to look up Lady Francis Bowes-Lyon who married Hugh Charles Trevanion(b Apr 1929) I expect I could find this on Peerage.com. I can get the site, click search & get the alphabet where I tried clicking T but I never manage to get a person-- any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks again
Vesta

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 06 10:14 BST (UK) »
To Casalguidi
Thanks for ideas-- I had not considered overseas records-- I'm not even sure I know how to do it. Vesta

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 06 10:21 BST (UK) »
Vesta

I think you mean here:
www.http://www.thepeerage.com/

You need to scroll down the page after clicking a letter.
Hugh's entry is here:
http://www.thepeerage.com/p1549.htm#i15481

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 06 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Vesta

The overseas BMD indexes are freely available to view at the Family Records Centre, London or online (pay per view) http://www.1837online.com

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help.
Vesta

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
I am still in difficulties with these Trevanions. Hugh Charles Trevanion married Lady Frances Bowes-Lyon on 2 Feb 1858 still not found B.or D.
I can so far only find one son Hugh Arundell Trevanion b. 1859--he married Florence Eva Cooper in 1882 & she died 1916-- I have photographed her tombstone. Hugh & Florence had 4 children as far as I can find Charles Cecil, Florence Nellie died age 6 months, Hugh Eric & Arundell Claude.
I have now found another Florence Eva Trevanion, marrige 1900 Kensington 3rd Q. Vol 1a p.371. Is she another child or could it be the 2nd wife of Charles Cecil.  Help! I'm in a real quandary.

Just to tell other oldies like myself that on the Peerage site if you do not have a mouse because you use a laptop you cannot scroll down-it took us most of the day to realize & once I borrowed a mouse it all worked perfectly.
Thanks Vesta