Author Topic: Jacob Henry Granger: Another twist added  (Read 4538 times)

Offline bee29

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Henry Granger
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 September 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
"Bush sections had been taken up by a few selectors during the 1890s but most of this area was surveyed only about 1904 and opened for selection in 1906.  The 1906 map, signed by R.T. Sadd, showed that certain sections were already sold, buyers including T.W. Mead, J.H. Granger and H.C. Knapp.  The upset price varied 7s., 7s. 6d. to 8s. an acre.  A hut was shown at Chinaman Gully and also one at Digger's Creek.

Thomas Mead of Foxhill had taken his section in the 1890s and his son Arnold ran this property until comparatively recent years.  The section taken up by H.C. Knapp had some bush felled on it but most remained in bush and was not grazed.  J.H. Granger was accidentally killed and his property was later owned by George Herwin who farmed there during his working life."
Page 149

"In an article about the Buller waggons which appreared in the Weekly News on December 8, 1954, Bob Henderson, writing about his experiences from 1904 onwards states: 'Trips to Lake Station were popular with Billy Granger and me.  A man named Thomlinson was in charge and provided us with guns and ammunition when we went shooting rabbits not far from the homestead.  Rabbits were so thick in the dusk of the evening that we could have almost kicked them out of our way so we nominated one colour to shoot down.' "
Page 77

"Finally on the subject of waggoning, it should be noted that Bob Henderson has written some of his reminiscences about the days when he and Billy Granger were driving the Buller waggons and a series of articles has been published in the Auckland Weekly News."
Page 354

"From some time after the railway was opened timber and firewood became important local industries.  The bush grew close to the railway line and the cut firewood could be loaded on to trucks easily and cheaply.  In many cases this trade provided settlers with ready money to help them develop their properties.  From time to time samilling also provided a good deal of employment.  While it is not possible to trace all mills, mention should be made of Lou Kerr's mill and that of Granger Bros at Tui.  In 1921 Messrs Thorn and Company put in a big milling plant on Polgaze's property but the venture failed as there was not sufficient suitable timber to keep the mill running"
Page 282

"........  In 1919 Granger Bros were loading 'cut of mill' timber on the rail at Tui for 1 pound a hundred super feet.  Grangers' men were working on contract: three men delivered logs on the skids for 3s. 6d. a hundred, three men in the mill received 6s. 6d. a hundred, while the 'truckie' was also paid at 6s. 6d. a hundred.  The bushmen did well if the weather was fine or they did not break the wire rope too often, as it took four hours to put it in a 12-ft splice.  In wet weather they sometimes earned as little as 1 pound a month each".
Page 367

From "Footprints" by J.N.W. Newport, 1962

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 September 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwen

Thank you for all that information, not only has it given me some insight to what was happening at the time, but I have also sent it to Jacob descendants so it hopefully will help them in their research. Thanks for all the time you have spent on this.

jericho :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 October 06 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jericho,

Sorry, mate!  I looked but your Mr Granger doesn't appear in the card index.  If he's not there then there is always the very distinct possibility that he came via Australia as the card index is only for ships direct from Britain.

NZSG is due to come out with the Victoria passengers index next year, or maybe you could try posting on the Oz board.

Cheers

Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 October 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Bunny

It was worth a try had not considered that he may have gone to Australia first, but if he's not on the index card, he must have arrived from somewhere, will think about posting in Australia. Thanks for your help.

jericho :)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Henry Granger (another twist)
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 October 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Instead of starting a new post, I'll post this little bit of information in the hope that someone may be able to help identify whether these two men are infact the same man, or help me by finding the newspaper article or court case.   A 19 year old John Granger  was convicted of stowing away on the coastal ship SS Taranaki from Port Chalmers to Lyttelton on the  21 July 1866 could this have been Jacob Granger. Another family theory is that he may have been a crew member on board ship from England and jumped ship once he arrived in NZ. I now know that Jacob doesn't appear on any index cards for passenger entry into NZ, so could he have jumped ship. ???

jericho

Offline HannahM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Henry Granger: Another twist added
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 August 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jericho,

Just started researching my gran's family line and from the very little information, I have found it has led me to your post.
Valda Rae (Higgins); Daughter of Peter John Higgins and Ethel Eliza Higgins (Granger) was my Great Gran.
I am very interested in any family information you may have of my line and how we may be related.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Nga mihi
Hannah
Mason

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Henry Granger: Another twist added
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 August 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah

I have PM you