Author Topic: Byrne Settlers  (Read 6920 times)

Offline pcoups

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Byrne Settlers
« on: Wednesday 27 September 06 08:20 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with info regarding the Byrne settlers. I'm hoping that perhaps somewhere there would be letters of application to join the settlers or something like that.
How did people qualify to join the Byrne settlers?
I have WOOD family aboard the King William that landed in Port Natal 1850 and would like more info on them.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Lynn

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Byrne Settlers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pcoups

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 08:56 BST (UK) »
Done.
And also checked her names of folks she is still compiling biography's on. I think she's published till H  .... seven volumes of her work are published.
Long way to W. The names I'm looking at are on her to do list.
What I was hoping for are perhaps like ...can't think now.....letters as those being transcribed now that the possible 1820 settlers wrote when applying.
Surely folks had to send the names, ages, qualifications etc to some-one who then decided who went who stayed.
Regards
Lynn

Offline Patkzn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn,

The settlers who arrived on the Haidee in 1850 had to complete emigration forms which were counter-signed by, say, the local minister.  The forms were submitted to the Land Commission who then approved (or not) the application.  I know that the Haidee Settler emigration forms are lodged with the Deeds Office in Pietermaritzburg.  As I recall, tracking down the forms was not an easy task (i.e. not solved by sending an email to the Deeds Office).  I recommend you contact Shelagh O'Byrne Spencer and ask her whether your Wood family completed such a form.  If so, then you would need to engage the services of a researcher and ask them to visit the Deeds Office.

Regards,

Pat
Lewis - Aberdeen, Scotland; Clarkson - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Medd - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Milner - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Nendick - Old Malton, Yorkshire

Offline izabel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 September 06 22:12 BST (UK) »

Offline pcoups

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 September 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Izabel.................Thank you very much.

Pat...............Thank you too. 
I think you and I are on the same page. This is the sort of info I'm wanting. The Names are on Shelagh's  'to do' as I've said so she definitely has something on them but what I don't know. I also haven't a contact address for her. I've checked her site backwards, forewards. up and down and can't find contact details. Would you by any chance have it?
The deed office ...... would they perhaps be in the UK archives?
Regards
Lynn

Offline Patkzn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 September 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn,

I spoke with Shelagh this morning and have sent you an e-mail "off list".

The Deeds Office records will be in Pietermaritzburg.  I found references on the Net to John Medley Wood at http://www.durban.gov.za/eThekwini/Services/parks/dbn_botanic_gardens/History

Regards,

Pat
Lewis - Aberdeen, Scotland; Clarkson - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Medd - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Milner - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Nendick - Old Malton, Yorkshire

Offline African Immigrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • From Syderstone to Africa and Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry to revive this old topic but I've recently realised that my ancester who arrived in 1849 to Durban was likely to be a Byrne Settler so hoping to find out if this is correct. Does anyone know if Shelagh Spencer has a list of settlers?

Thanks

Offline Patkzn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
I have a list of Byrne Settlers.  Let me know who you are looking for and I will check the list.

Kind regards,

Pat