Author Topic: SIMON THOMSON and CECELIA HENDERSON, Thurso  (Read 8355 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
SIMON THOMSON and CECELIA HENDERSON, Thurso
« on: Wednesday 27 September 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
I came across two stones for Simon Thomson and his wife Cecelia Henderson lying side by side in Thurso Churchyard. She died aged 72, he aged 73. I am interested in them as I think their daughter Janet married William Manson Brock. This couple moved to Aberdeen and Janet later emigrated to Buffalo USA.

Does this ring a bell with any Thomson's still living in Thurso area?

Am I right in assuming that the Thomson name sometimes gets mis-spelled, either Thomson or Thompson?

All I know at the moment is that in the 1851 Census they are listed as coming from Reay originally with their children Janet, Williamina, George, Simon and Mary. The last two children being born in Thurso. Simon senior was a fisherman. I think I came across him once before in another census, where he was away from home, a second-mate or something... but I can't remember now where I saw it.

I have taken a photo of the stones for any interested family.

Thank you!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SIMON THOMSON and CECELIA HENDERSON, Thurso
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 14:48 BST (UK) »
As an update to my own thread, I've tracked Simon and Cecelia from the 1841 Census, where they were living in Fresgo, (which I now know is to the west of Thurso) through the various Census each year until the 1891 Census, where they were living in Shore Street. Cecelia died first in 1891 and Simon followed in 1894. They would have been in there 70s when they died, but I am completely baffled as the ages given for each on their respective death certificates are in their late 50s. Anyone have any theories....?
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

bervonian

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
Who was the informant on their death certificates and what was his/her relationship to the deceased ?  I was tempted to say that they had little or no knowledge of their true ages but even so, late 50's instead of late 70's is a bit of a stretch  ??? ???

Bervonian.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 17:12 BST (UK) »
One of the informants was a son-in-law, the other a son. There is no date on the headstones either, only their ages – and the ages on the stones seem about right. So whoever organised them knew their age.

Simon Thomson is one of only 2 or 3 names that come up in Thurso (allowing for alternate spelling of Thompson), so I am fairly sure of the details. They lived most of the time in Shore Street, Thurso. There was also a Simon Thomson who was a son, and I know there was also a grandson of the same name.

I cannot imagine there were 2 Simon Thomsons who married Cecelia Hendersons! One theory I was given was that when the informant was asked the question "Age?" - he gave HIS age! It's a possibility! I can understand one of them to be wildly innacurate, but both of them.......

Any other theories welcome!

Thank you

Offline eastcoast.wallace

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I have just registered for RootsChat after reading your posts.

I know a little about Simon Thompson and Cecelia Henderson of Thurso, as we are descendents of them.

You are correct they are originally from Reay, which is just down the road from Thurso. Their children were Janet, Willamina, and George all born in Reay, as well as Mary and Simon born in Thurso, but they also had Andrew, Robert and James also all born in Thurso.

We have not seen the grave stones you mentioned and so would love to see your photographs, however we do know that Simon Thompson was born about 1821 in Reay and yes his profession was Fisherman/ Sailor. Cecelia was born 1821 in Reay. What death dates do you have?

I can tell you more about Janet's sister Willamina Thompson born 1844 who married Alexander Doull if you like?

We would love to hear more of what happened to Janet in America, as we had no knowledge of her life?

Best wishes
Duncan Wallace

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 11 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there Duncan,

I had not seen the original post about the Thomsons of Reay but my husband is also connected to this family through Simon's sister Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Thomson born/bap 1815 in Reay to William Thomson and Mary Fraser married George Reid 1849 in Thurso and had at least 3 children with him.

All fisherfolk.

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
My husband is related to two children of William and Mary Thomson.
 James  born about 1805 and Elizabeth born 1815.

William Thomson marr Mary Fraser 8 Sept 1799 Thurso. Wm was of Scrabster and witness was John Thomson.

John           1800 Thurso   wit John Thomson , John Fraser
Catherine   1802 Scrabster
James         no bap born about 1805     marr  Margaret Mackay
William       1807   Thurso   father Fisher
Margaret    1812   Thurso   father Fisher
Elizabeth    1815   Fresgo                     marr George Reid
William        1818    Fresgo
Simon         1820    Fresgo      all these bap Reay
Alexander   1818    Fresgo

Fresgo according to google is at Sandside Bay a lovely spot but you now walk on the sand at your own risk due to the nuclear particles that keep turning up.

I have William as probable son of John Thomson and Margaret Reid of Holborn Head and Scrabster fisher. This John might have married twice.

Mary Fraser lived until 21 May 1868 when she died in Thurso at age 84 and Simon Thomson her grandson was the informant. Unfortunately he signed so no signature. She was the daughter of John Fraser, fisher, and Catherine Thomson and born Canisbay

Offline Trustach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Taylor Gerrie & Alexander Watson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I am very interested in this thread being a descendant of Simon and Cecillia Thomson - they are my 3x great grandparents on my father's side. I would be most interested to see the photos of their gravestones in Thurso Cemetery and also any details of death of Cecillia as I have been unable to find anything on Scotland's People.  I have quite a bit of information on the family tree from 1820.
I do hope that someone reads this and can help to fill in this gap in my family research.
Thanks in advance and best wishes,
Trustach
Watson - Banchory Ternan, Old Machar
Pirie - Slains, New Deer, Old Deer
Gerrie - Aberdeen
Thom(p)son - Caithness

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hello! It was my original post and I have the photos from my visit to Thurso and will send them to you via a personal message along with the details of the family that I have.