Author Topic: MURRAYs from Slievenisky / Clanvarahghan  (Read 29446 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MURRAYs from Slievenisky / Clanvarahghan
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 January 13 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I can find the marriage of John Murray and Jane Milligan on 22 Aug 1872. However the church was Castlewellan Roman Catholic Church. In this case the fathers' names were Edward Murray and John Milligan.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline nancoyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 January 13 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, kinkerswell.
This must be the Murray I am looking for.  Oral history in the family had previously called him John so we were surprised to find him recorded as Edward on the wedding certificate.
Can you tell me anything else about his family?
nancoyne

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 January 13 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Nancoyne,
              Sorry, I have no further information.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline byrnesmyth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 10:53 GMT (UK) »
hello, my auntie mentioned the other day that she heard our Murray connnections originated in Slievenisky. My great-great-gf was Patrick Murray of Knocksticken, b. about 1854, married Anne Maria Davey 21 March 1884 in Downpatrick, d. 7 June 1934. Around 1904 they moved to her father John Davey's farm in Ardilea following the death of his widow Elizabeth. However some of the family remained in Knocksticken, Co. Down.

I think Patrick's father was also a Patrick, going by the valuation records, possibly a brother of Hugh?

Offline lily29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My information on the Murray family is very scant.  Mary Ann Murray, was born in 1850, I think in  Loughinisland.  Her brother John Murray, born 1847 stated in the 1911 census he was born in Loughinisland, so I am assuming she was born there also.  Her parents were Edward Murray and Mary  Ann Walsh.  There were many Murrays living in the Slievensky according to the Griffiths Valuation and I have not been able to tie any of then together.  When Mary Ann Savage went to the US in 1905, she travelled with a cousin Bridget Murray.  She stated she was from Slievensky. This is all I have for now after researching many years. Hope we can connect our families somehow. Please let me know if I can help further.

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 26 September 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
The Slievenisky area has also been mentioned to me as a possible connected location for my related Murray families. Can anyone else recognise them  or fit them in to a decent line? Patrick Murray, born late 1790's / early 1800's married a Catherine O'Hare and they may have been in Leitrim area. They probably died in County Down. Their son James Murray born in Leitrim area abt 1826 married Bridget McMillan at Ballywillwill, Down abt 1847 and they ended up in Ayrshire, Scotland where both died in 1892 and 1909. Bridget's parents were Patrick McMillan and Bridget nee Smith. I have a reference to a Peter Murray (common name in my Murray folk) born at Drumgooland, Down in 1827 and parents names are given as Patrick and Margaret (NOT Catherine?) nee O'Hare.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
I know, this is an old thread, but I am now looking for Murrays from Slievenisky too.

I have a Hugh Murray who married Margaret King in Sept 1834 (Church record lists it as taking place in Drumgooland)

They went on to have a number of children - Catherine (b 1853) who married William Kelly (this is my GG Grand parents)
The siblings I have found are - Margaret, Ann, Hugh and Thomas (Birth place is given as Derryneil or Slievenisky)

If anyone has any information on who the siblings married or if they emigrated etc, or who Hugh Murray/Margaret Kings parents are I would appreciate it.
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
And just to confuse things even more, I have another Murray connection, from the same area, so they are probably related somehow.

I have a Harry (Henry) Murray, married Agnes Doyle - I can't find a marriage certificate, but have found birth certs for the children (Patrick, Arthur, Martha, George, Francis and Bernard and my great granddad Richard Murray (b.1866 m 1902).

Any help with Harry's parents or siblings much appreciated
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)