Author Topic: MURRAYs from Slievenisky / Clanvarahghan  (Read 29497 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MURRAYs from Slievenisky / Clanvarahghan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 September 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
New members usually need 3 posts- then you'll be able to see little green scrolls and can use PM system.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline buona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 November 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor, Michael Murray, from Down who in the 1911 English Census gives his place of birth as "Silvereriky Co. Down."  As I can't find any reference to such a place in Down I am wondering if it could be the "Slievenisky" mentioned in these posts - maybe Michael couldn't write and the enumerator of the Census made a guess about the spelling?  Can anyone enlighten me about whereabouts please?

Michael was the son of John Murray (b.abt 1806) and his wife, Mary(b. abt 1808) both born in Down.  They had 5 children all born in Down - presumably Slievenisky?
John Murray b.1833
Edward Murray 1835
Michael Murray 1839
Mary Murray 1842
Pada (Patrick?) 1846

By the 1851 Census they were all living in Whitehaven, Cumberland England.  Anyone any connection with these Murrays?  Are they connected with the Murrays mentioned in the above posts?

Any info would be very welcome
Thanks,
buona

Offline Clanvaraghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My Murray Family are from Slieveniskey and Clanvaraghan.  My greatgrandfather was Patrick Murray married to Margaret Lennon and they lived in Clanvaraghan House  I believe his father was James Murray 1860.  Their daughter was Jane Murray married Robert McManus and lived in Workington. Would like to hear from any of the Murray Clan from this area.
Murray, Lennon, Crangle, McKey McGlave, McManus, Fitzpatrick

Offline lily29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 January 11 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My Murrays from Slievenisky were Mary Ann Murray who married Hugh Savage, she was born in 1850.  I believe her parents were John Murray and Nancy Walsh.   A Bridget Murray came to the US with two of her cousins in 1905,  Rose Savage and Mary Ann Savage.  Unfortunately I have no other information about the Murrays.  I would love to hear from you since they must be related somehow. 

Offline buona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clanvaraghan and llily29

How lovely to hear from you both and thankyou for answering my post. 

I am particularly excited about the Workington aspect as my grandmother (daughter of Edward Murray 1835 in my post above) had relatives  in Workington but so far in my searches I have been unable to make any connections there.  I do vaguely remember someone we used to call "Aunty Mary Murray" from Workington who I think had a daughter called "Doreen." 

I will spend sometime going back over my notes etc. and see what I can unearth.  I think that finding the parents/siblings of my John Murray 1806 (my post above) might provide a key
The Murrays you both mention in your posts seem to have been born later than my Murrays from Slievenisky but I am sure they are all related - cousins/nieces etc.  I am  sure if we work together and pool our finds we might make some progress...

Bye for now and a Happy New Year to you both
buona

Offline Clanvaraghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 January 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 
Were you aware that the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census are available FREE  on  National Archive Census of Ireland.  Also on PRONI - On the Will Search you can now get free images on some of the Wills.

Hope to hear from the person interested in James Murray.  His Will is posted under James MURRY, He died Feb 15 1860.  His son Hugh Murray also has his will posted - Hugh Murray of Clough died March 14 1865.  The "Ballach" person is a relative of mine.  Our branch is known as the Ballach Murray's.

I have tried to connect some of the Murray families from the Kilmegan Parish and will check my files.   At one time there were five Patrick Murray families living in Clanvaraghan, not too easy to keep them separated.

Clanvaraghan
Murray, Lennon, Crangle, McKey McGlave, McManus, Fitzpatrick

Offline lily29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 January 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes I looked in the census for Bridget Murray,  but was unable to find her.  I know the names all run together which makes it very difficult.  I was thinking maybe Bridget was living in England at that time and that was why she wasn't on the census. It is like finding a needle in a haystack.  I would love any help that I can get.  Thanks

Offline peppermint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Lily is it a bridget murray you r looking for.  Ihad  a great aunt called bridget murray born 29/04/1858 dont know if its the same Bridget Murray let me know.  Im also looking for the Murrays

Offline lily29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
My Bridget Murray was born about 1882 or 1883.  On the Ellis Isaland record she lists her home as Slievenisky.