Author Topic: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849  (Read 49783 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849
« on: Thursday 28 September 06 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

During the years 1845-1849 five particular convict ships, "Thomas Arbuthnot", "Joseph Somes", "Maitland", "Marion" and the "Eden",
transported approximately 500 "Exiles" to Port Phillip who were ex-juvenile convicts from Parkhurst Prison on the Isle of Wight.  If anyone has life history knowledge of any of these individuals after disembarking I would love to hear from you.

My interest is that I am researching for a PhD on Parkhurst Prison between 1838-1864 and am in a position to be able to exchange reasonable information for any of these 500.

In anticipation

Tony Cocks

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 06 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hello 

I would  suggest   ou would  have allready  scoured  the  internet  but  I will  post  this  up  for  you  anyhow 

http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/archivesvictoria/recordimages/00110/00110-P00001-viewer.html?00110-P0000-000001,300,2,S

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
I have never come across this bit of history before.  Great to be still learning!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/park12.html

This gave me a little bit of exra info as well as a few boy's names.  Can't believe some were only 10 and 12.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 22:37 BST (UK) »
Jenn,

Thank you for the link below, but as you thought "been there and got the sweat shirt".

Sadly you will note the response has been disappointing which has been the story of my researches in Victoria......and especially as I lived for 6 years in Melbourne too, but in those days a PhD was the furthest thing from my thoughts!!   Never mind.

Thanks once again

Tony
Hello 

I would  suggest   ou would  have allready  scoured  the  internet  but  I will  post  this  up  for  you  anyhow 

http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/archivesvictoria/recordimages/00110/00110-P00001-viewer.html?00110-P0000-000001,300,2,S

regards jenn

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.gsv.org.au/

hello  there 

this  is a  link  to  the Victoria Genealogy  Society   may  be  they  might  be  of some  help  to  you

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenn

I have advertised through various genealogical magazines and had limited success, but my sum total of completed Biographies is 35 out of the total 500 boys transported to Port Phillip.  RootsChat was one of the last avenues I discovered.

My difficulty is that with similar advertising in WA I now have over 200 Biographies from 340 boys transported and am at loss to understand why there has been such a differing response between the two States.

Regards

Tony

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 06 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

As they weren't actually convicts, the "Exiles" are listed on the Assisted passenger Indexes which is online on the PROV website.

having a quick look at couple of those listed on DPS site.  I checked Vic indexes and came up with the following, from the "Joseph Somes"

Francis RUSHBROOK died 1893 aged 65 in Geelong. Father listed as Jeremiah
He married first Frances WRAY in 1851 at Geelong and then Her sister Emily WRAY in 1876
Their children were born in and around Geelong.

William JERROME married Anne O'CONNOR in 1854.
William seems to have lost the "E" off the end, as most of their children are born under JERROM.  William is possibly the William JERROM who died in Narrandra NSW in 1892. Father listed as William.
His wife Anne died in South Melbourne in 1889.

John CUNDELL married Eliza BRISBANE in 1854. 
John CUNDILL died 1871 aged 42  birthplace: Scotland

Joseph PINE married Hughina MCKAY/MACKAY in 1862.  Their children appear to be born in the HEXHAM

Samuel RAWLE (born: Bristol) married Ann BOSWELL registered in 1851 and 1874

George WORT (born: Birmingham) married Charlotte MORTON nee WILLMETT in 1864.

Regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 06 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hello  Genni,

"How did you do that"!!!!

I have had quite a lot of correspondence with the PROV over the past eighteen months and more or less been told that "my type of research will not produce results".........hence there have been no suggestions as to links etc.   Now your posting proves that some headway can be made.   Can you let me into the secret??

There are several sources I use to produce my Biographies  and one of the most reliable has been Keith Clarke's "Convicts of the Port Phillip District" to give me some indication as to their initial whereabouts after disembarkation.......it is beyond that point I have difficulties, although I have documented Frank RUSHBROOK.   

Oh to live in Melbourne again, to be able to visit the archives.........but it is 12,000 miles away!!

I am very grateful for you showing me a possible chink in the "research curtain".

For now

Tony

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 06 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Genni,

Forgot to mention.........born in Glamorgan (my sister still lives there) and now live in Hampshire, two of the areas of interest to you.   Anything I can research with either shall be delighted to help.

Regards

Tony