Author Topic: Packington TOMKINS 3 Questions!!  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Packington TOMKINS 3 Questions!!
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I have come across the glorious Christian? name Packington and wonder if any one else is interested in it.
The earliest is Packington TOMKINS bap 25 Mar 1686 in Bromyard to Thomas and Margaret TOMKINS
The next I have found is bap 11 Oct 1721 son of Thomas Tomkins and Bridget nee RANDALL in Holborn LND his brother Thomas married an ANNE and had Packington John TOMKINS and Packington George TOMKINS born 14 Mar 1761 in Soho LND Packington George studied in New College and was ordained in Oxford 22 May 1785 he married Margaret GREEN in Salop in 1786.
They had 10 children bapt in Bromyard between 1788-1791.

Was he the vicar at Bromyard?
Did his son Thomas b1788 marry Mary BIRD in 1815 in Wacton ?
Has anyone linked Packington 1686 to Packington George?

Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Packington TOMKINS 3 Questions!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 12:25 GMT (UK) »
This site
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ukhfhs/mit.html
suggests that
A Packington George Tomkyns is buried in Tedstone Delamere
A Packington Tompkins is buried nearby in Bromyard

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Kmo  that is most helpful
Trees :)

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline sylcec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there 'Trees'
I wonder if you are still here and whether you ended up sorting out the Packington Tomkyns mystery?  I have found these people also as a result of helping a friend with TOMKYNS research.  Have downloaded (and transcribed) numerous PCC wills, and also found on Google Books: Collections Towards the History and Antiquities of the County of Hereford (vol.2) by John Duncumb AM, pub. 1812 which has a chapter on Buckenhill.  I believe there are a few errors here.   He says, inter alia:
- John Tomkyns Esq, a free burgess of Bromyard, bought Buckenhill from Mr Flackett 1660
- Tomkyns' originally from Worcestershire (yes, think that's right)
- John married a Miss Eyre "who was related to the Packingtons"  (don't know)
- had issue Nathaniel who married a daughter of Baynham Esq.
- He had issue: "Packington Tomkyns who married Mary a daughter and co heiress of Bohun esq of Newhouse in Warwickshire"
I believe that this last statement is wrong on both counts because:
a) the only Nathaniel Tomkyns I can find died 1681 and was of Merton, Worcestershire - am still struggling with his will, but am almost certain that he had NO issue! However he had a cousin John, and an uncle John (I give to my first cousin John Tomkins sonn of John brother to my ffather)
b) Packington Tomkyns who d. April 1754, Bromyard, Herefordshire, left a wife Elizabeth. Although I suspect that he married twice - he only names his younger children in his will, though the eldest son, George gets to administer the estate, I doubt that either wife was Mary Bohun.** 
When George Bohun Esq of Newhouse d. 1710 he left a widow Mary, and a daughter Mary, but she was married to Roland (or Rowland) Berkeley Esq.   No Tomkyns are mentioned, though when George's brother Ralph dies in 1717, there is an oblique reference in his will to "my cozen Tomkins"

If you've managed to follow this ramble and have any comments or records of the marriages I would be interested to read them!

**Incidentally I agree with John Duncumb's names of descendents from here on.
Sylvia

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:23 BST (UK) »
Gosh a blast from the past. I have just searched through all my Tomkins and the only one mentioned on the original question is Thomas who married Mary Bird now they link to my Giles tree

Our other Tomkins are from Yarkhill Hereford  not that far from Bromyard. These Tomkins are my direct line and on my Marshall line I have found this line from 1555 Yarkhill through 4 generations then to Westhyde and finally in 1727 in Hereford itself. I assume I found and abandond the Packington Tomkins having failed to link them to either line

I would still like to find who the Thomas Tomkins who married Mary Bird 6 Apr 1815 Wacton was though.
Tree

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline sylcec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
Well - should I come across the Tomkins/Bird couple who married at Wacton I will be sure to let you know.  Although the family I am trying to follow are mostly recorded as TOMKYNS, of course they also show up on some docs as TOMKINS - and sometimes both spellings occur in the same document!

There must have been a TOMKYNS/PACKINGTON marriage at some time, but probably back at least in the 1500s.  There is also more than one cross over with the BERKELEY line which also feeds into the BOHUNs.  As these all seem to have been illustrious families, I'm surprised that the links are not easier to sort out.  Whatever!

On the face of it though, this lot don't appear likely to be connected to your TOMKINS of Yarkhill - but as you've discovered, evidence is hard to find this many centuries past.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 July 13 12:25 BST (UK) »
I have found them with various spellings I just refer to the one spelling for convenience but record it as found in my data bank so yes there are quite a few Tomkyns and a handful of Thompkins too as you say often in the same family and different records for the same person. The Yarkhill lot were supposed to link to the famous Worcester Cathedral organist but its been hard to prove conclusively.
I have a line of BIRDS so finding this Tomkins Bird marriage makes be doubly keen to find themdid the tomkins link to the Yarkhill mob and did the Bird link to my Birmingham Flock I'd love to find out. I think the Yarkhill Tomkins are shown on our web site they'll be under the Marshall line if they are anywhere ...sorry to be so vague its been a long time since I looked at that line maybe its time to dust it off and take another look.
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline TimM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry to be so late joining this discussion, I've only just come across it. Still, better late than never!
Packingington George Tomkyns and his wife Margaret Green were my ancestors. I have a family tree passed down to me which tallies with Sylcec's quotes on the history of Buckenhill. I believe the statements are correct, unlike Sylcec as:
a) Our tree shows Nathaniel Tomkyns and a Baynham had issue - Packington Tomkyns.
b) He (Packington Tomkyns) married a Mary Bohun. There is strong evidence that this is true as there are subsequent generations with De-Bohun in the name.
If it's at all possible Sylcec, I'd be interested to see those details of Buckenhill and the various wills.
You might be interested, the family tree contains 4 De-Bohuns, and 3 Packington Tomkyns.

TimM

Offline JBField

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, My Grandmother was Mary Vera Tomkyns born in India, I live in Australia and would like to get in touch with you. I believe that you may be  the person who posted on the Victorian Wars forum in regards to George Tomkyns and George W F Tomkyns. I have seen originals of those photos and have some higher resolution scans if you would like them.

All the best,
Joseph