Author Topic: Elizabeth AIREY and John PARK  (Read 28070 times)

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth AIREY and John PARK
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 09 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy

Mary Park's parents are William Park (b. 1 Aug 1806, Heversham) and Jane Hayhurst (b. 16 Nov 1814, Sedbergh). They married on 14 Dec 1831 in Heversham They had 20 children between 1832 and 1860. The 19th child, Jennet, lived until the 1930s, and my f-i-l knew her quite well.

William and Jane are my husband's great great grandparents. Robert Park (b. 1842) is his great grandfather.

I am still tracing back William Park, and have not yet got back to his parents or grandparents.

This is a list of the 20 children taken from a handwritten framed sampler done by one of the children. I think the actual birth place was Preston Richard, near Heversham. All were christened at Preston Patrick church

All birth dates are taken from the family sampler

Children of William Park (b. 1 Aug 1806) and Jane Park (nee Hayhurst, b. 16 Nov 1814)):-

Gilbert Park. Born 26 May 1832 Heversham. Christened 24 June 1832 Preston Patrick.
Married Mary Kendal 18 Februrary 1860, Kendal

Jane Park. Born 30 December 1833 Heversham. Christened 26 January 1834 Preston Patrick.
??married, not traced after 1851

Elizabeth Park. Born 28 June 1835 Heversham. Christened 26 July 1835 Preston Patrick
Married Thomas Dodd 1862

Mary Park. Born 13 July 1837 Heversham. Christened 13 August 1837 Preston Patrick
Married James Airey 1861

John Park. born 6 December 1839, Heversham. Christened 12 Jan 1840 Preston Patrick
Married Esther Cummings 1861

William Park. Born 2 June 1841 Heversham. Christened 4 Jul 1841 Preston Patrick Died 1862
Never married

Robert Park. Born 20 December 1842 Heversham. Christened 09 Apr 1843 Preston Patrick
Married Isabella Whitehead 1877 (daughter of Thomas Whitehead and Frances Mattinson)

Sarah Park. Born 6 March 1844 Heversham. Christened 07 Apr 1844 Preston Patrick
Never married

Alice Park. Born 3 August 1845 Heversham. Christened 12 Oct 1845 Preston Patrick
Never married

Isabella Park. Born 10 February 1847 Heversham. Christened 11 Apr 1847 Preston Patrick
Never married

Joseph Park. Born 1 July 1848 Heversham. Christened 06 Aug 1848 Preston Patrick
Married Mary ??? (>Mary Marshall)

Christopher Park. Born 2 July 1849 Heversham. Christened 05 Aug 1849 Preston Patrick
Married Mary Ann Dixon ca 1879

Catherine Park. Born 3 June 1850 Heversham. Christened 28 Jul 1850 Preston Patrick
Married Richard Dickinson 1872, Liverpool

Thomas Park. Born 14 July 1851 Heversham. Christened 02 Nov 1851 Preston Patrick. Died 1881
Never married

Margaret Park. Born 1 August 1852 Heversham. Christened 12 Sep 1852 Preston Patrick
Married Robert Atkinson 1876

Nancy Park. Born 3 November 1853 Heversham. Christened 11 Dec 1853 Preston Patrick
Not traced after 1871

Rachel Park. Born 21 November 1854 Heversham. Christened 21 Jan 1855 Preston Patrick
Married George Edward Scott 1891

James Park. Born 5 March 1856 Heversham. Christened 06 Apr 1856 Preston Patrick
Married Elizabeth M ??? (? Elizabeth Moore)

Jennet(t) Park. Born 1 February 1858 Heversham. Christened 07 Mar 1858 Preston Patrick
Never married

Vicesima Louisa Beatrix Park. Born 19 May 1860 Heversham. Christened 24 Jun 1860 Preston Patrick
Never married

The intriguing thing is that you have William Park born 1 Aug 1806, baptised 22 Dec 1806 Kirkby Lonsdale, married to Margaret Mattinson 15 Sep 1828

and I have William Park b 1 Aug 1806, Heversham, married to Jane Hayhurst 14 Dec 1831

I'll have to do quite a bit of digging I think!

sylvia
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia
How lucky you are to have to have the sampler.
Bit of a coincidence about the Williams
Is that his date of birth or when he was baptised ? I assumed I had the right marriage for my William as one of the witnesses at the marriage is a William Blamire ,the name of his sister's husband but who am I to assume ..
Sue
ps If Jane and Gilbert Hayhurst were used for the names of William and Jane's oldest children, Elizabeth and John Park could be used as names for the next girl and boy.
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 March 15 03:45 GMT (UK) »
just an update

I think that it was William's birth date................ but I have not been able to confirm that or that he was the son of John Park and Elizabeth Airey. It is very probable ............. but I don't have the proof!

I do have the following information, obtained from obituary cards that were given to us, and from death certificates that I ordered ...........

William Park died 24 January 1869, age 62, buried Preston Patrick 28 January 1869. Cause:- Disease of the Kidneys. Informant, Gilbert Park

Jane Park died 17 February 1869, age 54, buried 21 February 1869, Preston Patrick. Cause:- Chronic Disease of the Heart. Informant, Gilbert Park

Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia
I,ve been looking at 1841 and 1851 census results for the area a William married to a Jane Park was at milton in Preston Richard both census's and in both census's a William married to a Margaret Park was at Miles cottage a ag labourer nr Witherslack theres some variations in ages on the census's. Quite interestingly theres a William Park in 1841 at Milnthorpe workhouse along with some Hayhurst children and a Robert Hayhurst 45 employed there as schoolmaster and margaret hayhurst  40 female servant. Christopher Park who married Mary Ann Dixon was a miller at How Head Mill at Lambrigg in1881 his wife was my gt gt grandfathers sister

Cheers Fellsman

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 March 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fellsman

I think I do have all the census information for the direct line of OH's Hayhursts. I may not have sibling marriages all correct.

The problem ............. and I am sure you know this ............ is that there are two branches of Hayhursts in Lancashire, Westmorland and Yorkshire.

They HAVE to be related, but no-one seems able to get back beyond about 1620 and connect the two branches.

Both branches have Gilbert, William and Christopher in every generation

All the men seem to prefer wives called Elizabeth

All are millers and farmers

All move back and forth between, basically, the Whittington area of Lancashire, and Milton Mill and Preston Patrick areas.

They have even been known to exchange mills.

It takes a great deal of care to be sure that one Hayhurst family in one census is the same family at the same mill in the next census!

The story is that the Hayhursts were Quakers, and subject to religious persecution, moving when it got too bad. Certainly Robert Hayhurst b. 1767 in Slaidburn, and OH's 4 x gt grandfather, was a devout Quaker who preached at Brigg Flatts Meeting House in Sedbergh, one of the oldest Meeting Houses in northern England (built 1675).

I can trace OH's family back to Cuthbert Hayhurst born ca 1725 in Slaidburn, Yorkshire, and be confident that I have the correct family.

Before that is Cuthbert Hayhurst who was on the second fleet of William Penn to Pennsylvania, sailing from Liverpool on the Lamb in 1682. Cuthbert & his family settled in Bucks County, Pa on Neshaminy Creek. He died 3/5/1683, in Bucks Co., of cholera six months after arriving in Pennsylvania. His descendents were mostly excommunicated later.

It is believed that most of the Hayhurst's in the US are probably descended from this Cuthbert Hayhurst (Hairst) ................ and his ancestors have been traced back by American descendents to a Cuthbert Hayhurst (Hairst) who was born about 1540 in Newton, Bolland, Yorkshire. All the families have been well documented by those American researchers down to the Pennsylvania Cuthbert.

I'm sure OH's branch could be traced back beyond 1725, but I cannot find the linkages!

cheers!

Offline Ruth Gibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 March 15 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia
I  am new to this site but have read that your husband is descended from Robert Park. Jane  Park Roberts sister is my great great grandmother. I can supply information about her marriage and census whereabouts. She had six children and died in 1889.
Ruth.

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 March 15 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I usually do not do more with siblings than find who they married ...........

I have Jane Park born on 30 December 1833, and christened 26 January 1834 in Preston Patrick.

BUT I have obviously gone wrong with her marriage as I thought that she married Robert Ainsworth Mar quart 1853, registered Kendal.

However, the only proof of that marriage that I have so far is from several ancestry trees (I know!!), and censuses that have a Jane Ainsworth born in the correct area. Plus the Ainsworth children Ralph, Isabella, William Park, Mary and Robert Carr’s registrations on lancsbmd have mother’s maiden name as Park, registered Longton, Preston.

I really am only interested in the name of her husband, and the date and place of her marriage, if you would please let me have that information.