Author Topic: Hugh Douglas & family of Falkirk in 1901 census  (Read 7083 times)

Offline genichild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hugh Douglas & family of Falkirk in 1901 census
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 15:28 BST (UK) »
My father, John Douglas was born in Falkirk on 4 Aug.1913.He was the youngest of a large family(maybe 12). I have his birth cert. which shows his father as Hugh Douglas and his mother as Janet Douglas and what may be her maiden name of McMaster. They were married on 31 Dec.1896 (Although there is an inkblot on the 9 so it could be 1886).I met 5 of his siblings i.e. William, Alec, Elizabeth, Margaret & Jean. If someone can find this family in the 1901 census  their ages should give me some birth years.

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Douglas & family of Falkirk in 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hugh Douglas Married   JANE  McMaster at Grahamston, Falkirk on 31 December 1886.

I can not find them in the 1901 census but they do appear in the 1891 census.  Then they were living at Etna Buildings and had 2 children. They were Janet age 3,  and Bella ( Isabel?? ) age 1

I searched all of Scotland in the 1901 census without success. Is it possible they emigrated or moved to another part of Britain??

Offline genichild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 06 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info. Do you have the ages of Hugh & Jane in the 1891 census? Hugh may have joined the army, that is the only way I can think that he left Falkirk. He obviously returned as my father was born there.Where do I go from here?

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
I did a search of all D*UGLAS* births in Falkirk forward from 1886 and then looked at the ones occuring in 1901 hoping to find one to Hugh and Jane and thus prove they were there all along and perhaps just skipped over on the census.  Well that was too simple to work.  :( So far the most recent birth to them before 1901 was Jeanie in 1897 and that occured at the Etna Buildings same address as the earlier census.  The next chronological birth I've found is William in 1903 and by then they were at Dundee Court, Falkirk.  So this proves nothing or everything not sure which!  They may still have been in Falkirk all along but that is a large leap of years between births (6) so I'm guessing they may have left town and returned.  Where they got to in between is still a mystery  :(

Best wishes
Jean

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 06 16:09 BST (UK) »
I have just realised that when I looked at the 1891 census, I missed something.

Hugh, Jane and their children are at the top of a page and are described as "Visitors" , so I went back and had a look at the previous page. At the bottom of that page, I found this:-

264    Etna  Buildings.
Alex. Mcmaster                           age  57
Janet       "                    wife       age  51
John        "                    son        age  18
Elizabeth "                    dtr         age  16
William    "                    son        age  14
Robert     "                      "          age  10
Thomas   "                    dtr         age  5
Maggie    "                    dtr         age   8

I am not sure if "Visitor" means exactly that and they were actually living somewhere else
or if it means that this is where they were living.  A lot of people in one small house !!

The census reports this house as having 2 rooms with one or more windows, so perhaps they were "real" visitors.

Offline brawlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 10 13:28 BST (UK) »
Noted you old message regarding Hugh Douglas. I am currently working on the same family as a professional genealogist. I have the location of the family and when I told my client about your message she is keen to get in contact with you. If you wish to discuss and share info please reply to
(*)
kind regards
David Roseburgh

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline genichild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 August 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
 Having returned to RootsChat to look at totally different family, I was surprised to see your reply of 2010 to my post of 2006! If you are still in touch with your client I would love to swap info. with her.I now know much more about my father's family, but there are still a few loose ends. My father was born on 17 July 1913 (not 4 Aug.) Hugh was a journeyman ironmoulder and was in Lancashire for the 1901 Census.

Offline decorator

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 14 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think we may be researching the same family.My husbands grandfather was Robert Mcmaster-I believe that he is the brother of your grandmother.In the 1891 census,Hugh and Jane(Janet)are visiting her parents,Alexander and Janet in Falkirk,My husbands mom was going to name  him Alexander after her granddad-but changed her mind!!!

Offline genichild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 December 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
 Yes, I think you are right! Because my father was a Douglas, I only really researched the Douglas  side of the family, although I knew there was always some debate as to whether my grandmother was Jane or Janet McMaster. The first child of Hugh and Jane Douglas was named Janet, so I suppose my grandmother was actually Janet but known as Jane. Her mother was also a Janet, born Janet Richardson!My father knew his mother's name as Jane, so when I was born he wanted to call me Jane, in the Scottish tradition of naming the first-born girl after her father's mother. But as I was born on Christmas Day, my mother, who was English, wanted to call me Carol or Christine. She said she didn't want "plain Jane" so the compromise was that they changed the letters around and named me Jean. So, I am Jean, I was nearly Jane, and I should have been Janet!! The tradition of naming  the first-born son after his father, often leads to the son being known by a middle name or a variant of his name. It took me a while to realize my uncle Alec, as I knew him, was actually named Hugh Alexander Douglas. Hugh after his father and Alexander after his maternal grandfather, the same Alexander that your husband was NOT named after. I would have sent this as a personal message to you but I couldn't get it to "go". Please reply