Author Topic: Hugh Douglas & family of Falkirk in 1901 census  (Read 7091 times)

Offline decorator

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Douglas & family of Falkirk in 1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 December 14 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean
Nice to hear from you-but this may become confusing-as the same family names seem to re-appear over and over again!My husbands granddad,Robert Mcmaster was born in Falkirk-but moved to Manchester,where he met his wife,my husbands grandmother.They later moved and settled in Birmingham.Their children were  Sarah, Maggie,Janet.Elizabeth and Thomas.Janet was named after Roberts mother. Maggie,Janet ,Elizabeth and Thomas after his brother and sisters!
I don't know much more about the McMaster side of the family(Work in Progress!),except that in the 1901 census,Margaret Douglas is living in Falkirk,aged 6,with her grandmother, Janet, now a widow,so Alexander,her husband must have died between1891 and 1901.I shall be doing more  research on this family at the weekend-when I can sit and get my head around all the names and relationships!!
If you would like me to send you any information I discover,I shall be pleased to do so.

Offline genichild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 January 15 15:19 GMT (UK) »
 Yes, it's very confusing, Hugh Alexander Douglas was born in Manchester in 1901, He was the first boy born to Hugh and Jane(t) after 5 girls. Hugh was a journeyman iron moulder, I thought he was in Manchester because there was work there, but maybe he went there because Jane's brother,Robert, was there. They must have left their (then) youngest child, Maggie (Margaret) with her maternal grandmother.Maggie was born in Middlesbrough in 1894 probably because her father was working there at the time. The rest of their children were born in Falkirk. The only things I know about the McMaster family is that Jane's parents were Alexander McMaster and Janet McMaster nee Richardson, and now I know she had a brother Robert. Please keep me informed of your progress ! Once you have made 3 posts, we can sent each other private messages, that is why I couldn't send my last ramblings, or this by that method. Best Wishes Jean.

Offline decorator

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 January 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean(Which,by the way,is also my husbands sisters name!)to briefly summarise this weekends work-Alexander Mcmaster-your great grandfather,was born either in Ireland or Dunipace, Scotland-depending on which website you look at.His parents were from Antrim,but in1851 they had settled in Dunipace with their children.=Robert born 1837,Fanny-born 1839,Alexander-born 1842.Jane-born 1845 and Isabella-born 1847.By 1861 they had another son 
James born 1852.
Alexander married Janet Richardson(or Ritcheson)on December30 1864 in Larbert,where she was born.
I have yet to access the 1871 census,but in 1881 they were living with their children(your grandmother and her siblings)
These were - James born  1866,Jane(Your Grandmother). born1869 John Born 1873 Elizabeth.Born 1875
William  born 1877and  Robert(my husbands grandfather) born 1881
By 1891 they had been joined by Thomas born 1886 Maggie and  born 1883
Robert married Ann Etchens in 1908 and they had 5 children= Sarah.Janet,Maggie,Elizabeth and Thomas.(your grandmothers nieces and nephews)Robert died in Birmingham in 1952.
I hope that this gives you a little insight into your grandmothers past history.
If I discover what happened to her other siblings I should be glad to let you know
Best
Wishes
Val