Author Topic: Ernest Portch and Edith Loock/ De Abreu  (Read 1645 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ernest Portch and Edith Loock/ De Abreu
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone recognise the above names and if so, can you tell me anything about these people?

I know that Ernest Portch was an engineer by profession, though not which type.

Edith De Abreu was, I believe, Portuguese but born in Brazil, Rio De Janeiro and I believe she was, at some stage, married to someone by the name of Loock, whom I think was German.
She married Ernest Portch in 1922 in Liverpool.

I'd love to know when and why Edith came to England and whether any of her Portuguese family came with her.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with any further information or connection to these two.

Cheers,

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Neil Crossley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Portch and Edith Loock/ De Abreu
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I just came across your post while researching information about my maternal grandparents - Ernest Portch and Edith De Abreu. I appreciate I am contacting you nine years after you left your message, but if you are still accessing this site it would be good to hear from you.

My mother's maiden name is Margaret Portch - she had three sisters and one brother. My mother has snatches of information about her past, which I have started to compile. One of my cousins did try to look into the family past but only got so far with it.

Regards,

Neil Crossley

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 15 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya Neil and welcome to Rootschat
ask your mum did she have an aunty Emma ?
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi
1925  Emma D Abreu married Geghard F Alvensleben - Liverpool Register Office or Registrar attended .

1922 Edith B Deabren previously Edith B Loock married Ernest C Portch - Liverpool Register Office or Registrar attended
I presume Deabrean is a Mistranscription ? as www.freebmd.org.uk has the marriage as DE Abreu
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Neil Crossley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
Yes she did, although my mother and her sisters referred to her as "Emmy". She and Edith had another sister called Mercedes, who married Domingo de Larrinaga. He owned a shipping company based in Liverpool. You mentioned my grandfather's profession - he was a civil engineer.

What is your connection with the family Jen?

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil,

I have no connection to this family. When I posted the request for information I was doing some research for a friend who had Ernest and Edith in her tree.

As you say, this was some time ago and the information I had was passed on to my friend, so I'm afraid I don't have anything more to add.

Regards,

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson