Author Topic: Craigielands Hall, Beattock  (Read 21079 times)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Craigielands Hall, Beattock
« on: Saturday 07 October 06 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Am researching my Martin family history.  I have an Elisabeth Wilson Martin who married John Little Thomson.  Elisabeth died 28/8/1950 at Craigielands Hall, Beattock but I cannot find this place anywhere.  Does anyone know if it was part of the Craigielands Estate which I believe was part of the Colvin Family?

Thanks,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Craigielands Hall, Beattock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
I suspect the reference is to Craigielands Hill, which is the farmstead above the woodland overlooking Craigielands House on the west. This was used as the residence of the farm manager, but there were several families living in it. My great great grandfather, James Hope, was farm manager there in the 1890s through to about 1920, after which Thomas Quigley was farm manager. When the estate was broken up Thomas Quigley became the tenant farmer.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 03:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info.  It definitely says Craigielands Hall on the death certificate but your explanation makes perfect sense.   I am also sure that we must have connections along the line as Elizabeth's son-in-law was a William Hope.  Do you know of any websites that show the property or have information on it?
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
My 1st cousin 4 times removed, William Colvin, was a successful businessman who spent at least part of his childhood in Glasgow. He bought the estate of Craigielands, and lived in Craigielands House, where he died in 1880.

His father was minister of Johnstone parish, and the family came from Sanquhar.

Craigielands was not otherwise Colvin property.

Norval Smith

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 07 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Please see attached map of Craigielands Hall, Beattock.

Jak  ;D
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 07 10:14 BST (UK) »
Concerning the various placenames involving Craigielands, the following citation from the late 19th century Ordnance Gazeteer of Scotland (various editions) might be of interest:

"Craigielands, a neat modern village in Kirkpatrick-Juxta parish, Dumfriesshire, near Beattock station, and 2½ miles SSW of Moffat, under which it has a post office. Craigielands House, a modern mansion, is in its southern vicinity."

So the village of Beattock was itself then known as Craigielands, explaining the name of Craigielands Hall.

What the extent of Craigielands Estate was - the former Colvin property - I have no idea.

Norval

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 07 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrea.
I think I can add to what other Rootschatters have said.

It would appear that Craogielands House / Hall was built for/by a William Younger Esq - early 1800a maybe before.  he also built the hamlet/village of Craigielands.

In the 1830s and the 1790s The Statistical Accounts for each Scottish parish were created.
They are available for browsing at under:-

http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/

If you say you are just brwosing and then enter Kirkpatick Juxta you will find all about that Parish - and it refers to Craigielands and a William Younger Esq.
If you then folllow with a Google on Younger Craigielands you will find a number of hits.

If you enter Craigielands into www.streetmap.co.uk you should find Craigielands House near Beattock.
If you then enter Beattock into www.ols-maps.co.uk and then move slightly SW you should then find Craigieland - spread over quite an area.

Best wishes
Reiver

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 07 23:06 BST (UK) »
I think this thread has answered a longstanding query of mine!

My gggxgrandparents were married at Wanlockhead in 1821 (registered at Kirkpatrick Juxta).  The couple were listed as living at Craiglands.  Reading all the above, it is highly probable that this is Craigielands.

Thanks everyone!
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 September 07 22:57 BST (UK) »
Have only just picked up on these latest developments.  The map extract shows the modern main street, which lies east of the railway line from Carlisle to Glasgow. Beattock is quite a complex composite, and was at least partly on the Craigielands Estate. There was an older village known as the Back Village west of the railway line, close to the former railway station, which cottages have been referred to directly as Craigielands village in some documents (my grandmother was brought up in the Back Village at Braehead). Continuing south, on the west side of the railway, across the edge of Craigielands Park are more cottages, a former schoolhouse and the parish church, about a kilometre south of the modern village. People might have the designation Craigielands in the census etc, referring to the Back Village.  However the original correspondent referred to Craigielands Hall which suggests the mansion house, although I suggested the farm of Craigielands Hill.  One of the correspondents is correct, the estate did belong to Colvin, who sponsored the statue of a ram in Moffat centre. It then passed to Smith and Smith's widow, and then the Forman family (Adam Forman wrote several books on this period, one called 'Son of Adam'. It is currently run as a caravan park and recreational centre and can be found as such on the web.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright