Author Topic: Parcell to Moose Jaw  (Read 1169 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Parcell to Moose Jaw
« on: Saturday 07 October 06 09:43 BST (UK) »
According to his alien registration and later naturalisation papers William James Parcell went to the USA from Moose Jaw in July 1913.  He was born in Offley Hertfordshire England in Feb 1889.

My problem is how and when he went to Canada and I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

As he went by himself and there is no reason to suppose that his family were in any financial difficulties I assume that he decided to emigrate rather than there being any compelling reason.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parcell to Moose Jaw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
Did find a Williamm "Purcell" in MooseJaw but says 1882 Ont...Some of Moosejaw area incomplete on the  1911 census, so he might be in there yet. This will perhaps have a year of immigration. J.J.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test3.jsp?did=211
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 October 06 13:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you JJ

I couldn't find anything on the census either.  It seems likely that he probably didn't reach Canada until after 1911.  The USA was probably his final destination as he had an uncle who went to USA for about ten years and returned to the UK early in the 20th century.

Are there any passenger lists into Canada for 1910-1913?

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 October 06 16:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, there are, but in order to narrow down the search at least a year of entry would help...and even then you'd be trawling through tons of information...
... ship, actual month, wrong spelling? I haven't even done it for my own ancestors yet, as I can't look at that much information rolling by ::) ::) ::)

Here's a rootschat entry on the subject and more online resources...I have already checked FHS, ingenius & Ellis Island
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,160429.0.html
more ships list, some duplicated:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130108.0.html

You might want to volunteer with automated genealogy
http://automatedgenealogy.com  to help them do the Moosejaw transcriptions if you think he may be in there... ;) 

Hope this helps...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 October 06 19:32 BST (UK) »
What did he do for a living, as that might be a clue as towhy he started out in Moosejaw? J.J.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 October 06 21:24 BST (UK) »
On his Alien Registration in Minniapolis in 1918 his profession was a stone cutter, but by the time of his naturalisation in 1924 was working for the railway as  freight transferman.

David