Author Topic: Garage in Romiley circa 1950  (Read 2668 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Garage in Romiley circa 1950
« on: Saturday 07 October 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

I'm trying to find out some information on a garage/car shop in the Romiley area in the late 40's or early 50's by the name of Castres (I know this is probably the wrong spelling, but its what my cousin told me!) It could also be in the Bredbury area - possibly near the Bredbury Arms Hotel?

Anyone know of any places by that name or similar? If so, what was the family's surname that ran it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline snowy owl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garage in Romiley circa 1950
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was (not sure whether it's still there but I can easily find out), a small car parts/accessories shop on the corner of Stockport Rd and Central drive in Romiley called Castrees Auto Bar.  It was on the other side of the Road from the Romiley Arms but 2 mins away.

It was there in the 80's.

Offline amcc49

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garage in Romiley circa 1950
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
In the 1950's the Castrees were coal merchants and based at Romiley Station. There were two sons who were at primary School at the same time as myself. (Ian and Neil, if I recall correctly.) Later on (in the 1980's) there was a Castrees Autoparts shop opened  on the corner of Central Drive and Compstall Road, which is probably the "garage" to which you refer.