Author Topic: from rohatyn/rogatyn ukraine to argentina...any tips on tracing relative??  (Read 5872 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
i`m trying to find the Kabluckyj family that went to argentina (also england)..anyone got any tips..don`t know christian name but surname was Kabluckyj..around about 1938/42..regards...allan...please note..this thread title was changed on 16-12-07..i originally gave the wrong village name...apologies....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: from rohozin ukraine to argentina...any tips on tracing relative??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I guess that it's possible that some Ukrainians fled the fighting during the War and got away to UK or South America. However, it seems to me unlikely that the period of travel would have been 1938-42: many Ukrainians left Europe but after WW2, as officially registered UN Displaced Persons. They left en masse circa 1946-1951.

There is or was an Argentinian immigration website called CEMLA but it does not appear to be working today and, in any event, deals with emigration up to the 1920s, not later.

You could contact a Prof Cluset at  http://www.estudiocruset.8k.com/index.html  - she is a professional researcher who might be able to help.

Do you know where in Ukraine the Kabluckyj family originated?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 18:14 BST (UK) »
many thanks grey squirrel....family were from Rohozin   about 40 kilometers outside kiev...regards...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

Have to admit that there is no village or town with the name Rohozin, Rohosino, Rogosin or Rogosino (I have tried all possible combinations in Ukrainian and Russian) neither near Kiev, nor in Ukraine.
But there is a place Rohosino in what now is Vitebsk region of Belorussia.
What is the source of your information that Rohozin was 40 km from Kiev? Any other Ukrainian names?
Search on Kabluckyj (and its variations in Russian and Ukrainian) returned two living persons from Ukraine.

As for the Argentinian side, there are some addresses:

-Ukrainian Society of Prosvita in Argentina
Soler 5039 Capital Federal
Buenos Aires 1425
ARGENTINA
Juan Jose Hatlewski
Tel: ++54-11-4775-0226
Fax: ++54-11-4775-0226
Email: juanj_hatlewski(at)yahoo.com
URL: http://www.prosvita.org.ar (site is under construction :(  )

-Representacion Central de la Colectividad Ucrania en la Republica Argentina
C.MAZA 150
Buenos Aires 1206
ARGENTINA
http://www.ucrania.com (they have Forum on this site, so you can try to ask there)

Regards
Mike

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 09:43 BST (UK) »
Unless there is significant corruption, I think the problem with the place name might be in the transliteration from the Cyrillic. For instance, looking at some of my maps, there are several places transliterated as Rohizna or Rohizne in Ukraine and two are not so far from Kyiv, even if they are outside your suggested 40km - both are about 60km away.

The two most interesting are:

1. Rohizna near Strokiv W of Bila Cervka
2. Rohizna near Volodarka SW of the town of Bila Cervka

Another thing you can do when looking for anywhere in Eastern Europe is search the excellent ShtetlSeeker website  http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp -- you will find that there are several other phonetically similar places in Ukraine.

Hope this helps a little.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
sea mike/grey squirrel...thanks for input...conflicting reports here...my wife thinks her father was about 30 miles outside kiev...there is another ukranian who lives here in my village who knew ostap kabluckyj and he says he lived on the western side of the ukraine well away from kiev...rohozin was his way of spelling me ostaps town of birth...regards...allan

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 22:09 BST (UK) »
Allan,
Your wife is correct, (as wife can be), but try to get as much as you can from your neighbor.
Besides, you said that Orest was 1928/1929 year born. So, at the end of WWII he was 16-17 years old. Not a regular age to serve in the Army (Soviet, German...). OK, we do not speak about "Hitlerjugend".
Let me assume, that Orest was a guerrilla, as some of West Ukrainians  were during WWII; he was wounded, retreated with German troops and was imprisoned in Germany by Allies (not Soviets). Afterwards he emigrated to UK and so on...
At the same time, his "un-named" father also moved Westwards from Soviets AT THE END OF 1944, and appeared at first in Poland (maybe), then Germany and proceeded  to Argentina.
I think we could establish the roots in Ukraine, but in that case you have to torture your Ukrainian neighbor for more info. Somebody have to suffer  :)

Regards
Mike

Offline chilibear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 07 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan,

My father-in-law, along with other young men of his village in Western Ukraine, was taken by the Germans, at gunpoint, to work as slave labour in Germany shortly after the Germans invaded Ukraine.  At the end of WW2 the Ukranians and people of other nationalities were sent back to Ukraine (now run by Russia).  The Russian's shoot them for collaborating with the Germans.  Rumours got back to Germany; the Allies came up with some agreement whereby Ukrainians could go to UK, Canada and USA to live.  May be your family's story is similar.

Unfortunately I am getting nowhere tracing family in Ukraine.  We do not even know if his village (Lubeshov, Volynia)still exists or if any family members (Kurinczuk) survived the war.

Good luck!

Chilibear.
Merrall, Ayres, Waterfield, Cotton - Leicester
Slater - Leicester, Derbyshire, Buckinghamshire
Blakey, Moult - Derbyshire

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chilibear,

The good news are:
-Since 1991 Ukraine is not run by Russia any more, it is an independent state
-Lubeshov is still here, in Ukraine, Volyn region, about 5500 inhabitants in Lubeshov and about 32,000 in the region. Google Earth coordinates: 51.7645,25.5046
Upper of two photos at the bottom of the page http://ua.vlasenko.net/_pgs/pgs-html/pgs2-092.html
is a monastery in Lubeshov
-At least three Kurinczuk's can be googled in Russian/Ukrainian net - Larisa Andreevna Kurinczuk in Ukraine, Alena Kurinczhuk in Russia and Vasily Kurinczuk in Kazahstan.
-I guess it could be a "bull's eye" - Vera Timofeevna Kurinczuk in Lubeshov (phone number available  :)  )
-No bad news so far

Cheers
Mike