Author Topic: from rohatyn/rogatyn ukraine to argentina...any tips on tracing relative??  (Read 5874 times)

Offline chilibear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: from rohozin ukraine to argentina...any tips on tracing relative??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks very much! (would like to put a smiley face here, but do not know how).  I was not really expecting any information, especially so quickly.  He actually came from Zarodche, close to Lubeshiv.  Does this still exist?

Chilibear.
Merrall, Ayres, Waterfield, Cotton - Leicester
Slater - Leicester, Derbyshire, Buckinghamshire
Blakey, Moult - Derbyshire

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I guess that it's possible that some Ukrainians fled the fighting during the War and got away to UK or South America. However, it seems to me unlikely that the period of travel would have been 1938-42: many Ukrainians left Europe but after WW2, as officially registered UN Displaced Persons. They left en masse circa 1946-1951.

where can i find this register please ?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan,

My father-in-law, along with other young men of his village in Western Ukraine, was taken by the Germans, at gunpoint, to work as slave labour in Germany shortly after the Germans invaded Ukraine.  At the end of WW2 the Ukranians and people of other nationalities were sent back to Ukraine (now run by Russia).  The Russian's shoot them for collaborating with the Germans.  Rumours got back to Germany; the Allies came up with some agreement whereby Ukrainians could go to UK, Canada and USA to live.  May be your family's story is similar.

my grandfathers story is very similar he came to the Uk from the Ukraine via Norfolk in 1948 as a displaced person.

Unfortunately I am getting nowhere tracing family in Ukraine.

snap

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chilibear,

Zarudchi (it is the name of this village) still exists as a center of a community: other villages related in this community are Buchin, Pidkormillya, Pozhog, Selisok.

Thanks very much! (would like to put a smiley face here, but do not know how).  I was not really expecting any information, especially so quickly.  He actually came from Zarodche, close to Lubeshiv.  Does this still exist?

Regards
Mike

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Toni

That's not easy -- but they've literally just been opened up to the public in Germany - http://www.its-arolsen.org/en/homepage/index.html

No one yet knows exactly what is available, or how easy it is to find information in the archive.

Grey Squirrel

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 11:10 GMT (UK) »
many thanks Grey squirrel will try to search the database there

is that records of the displaced people that came to Uk included?

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

A very interesting 1998 article from the Buenos AIres Herald -  on Ukranian immigration to Argentina

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/casamirror/easteurope.htm#Ukrainian_Immigrants_to_Argentina

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 December 07 19:02 GMT (UK) »
my sincere apologies to you all...the nearest village ostap was from was ROHATYN or sometimes ROGATYN. NOT ROHOZIN...SO I MISLED YOU ALL....i have been on a website  www.ukraine.com    and it appears that over 7000 ukranian troops in the ss galicia german troops were captured in italy and as pow`s were sent to england in 1947.ostap kabluckyj was one of these soldiers.....i`m currently trying to find ostaps birth in the rohatyn bmd`s registry office......thanks,and apologies..and i also had my pc crash,so accept my apologies for any delay in replying.....regards...allan  ps  i`ve found a very very helpful site and helpful members on  www.ukraine.com    go to forum   ...register as a member..and then go to genealogy..then post your thread..good luck...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford