Author Topic: Kelman  (Read 17143 times)

Offline JKilmon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kelman
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 August 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
I think that the name is Pictish as are the prehistoric hut circles found on "The Kelman" (Kelman Hill) and excavated by Gordon between 1874 and 1884.  I think The Kelman is a Pictish site from which the clan name arises.  My view is that the Picts were the indigenous people of Scotland dating back to the paleolithic and were impacted by later Celtic people arriving from the mainland around 1000 BCE.  I think a "Kelman" was, to the Celts, a "Coille-muintir" a "man of the woods."

Offline GrayNW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kelman - marlyn
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 March 11 04:44 BST (UK) »
Alexander Kelman  from Aberdeen came to the US with wife Elizabeth Mckenzie and their children and with Frances Kelman (Fanny) (Alexander's daughter from first wife Barbara Garrow).   They were in Ohio and Fanny married into my family of John Stewart from Neilston In Renfrewshire.  Any Connections?

I am the 3rd great-granddaughter of Elizabeth McKenzie! Her son, David Kelman, had 2 children, one being Jessie Kelman. Her son, William Kelman Keagy (he has gone by Kelman since he was a baby) just turned 99 this past February. That would be my grandfather.

I have no idea what happened to Alexander or anything about his side of the family, besides his first wife and children (which I partly discovered through you!). Elizabeth remarried to Farquhar McGregor in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1854. She had 2 children with him there. He died in 1860. She and her children moved to Astoria, OR.

I have a lot more information than that, though. :) I also have photographs of David and his family.

I hope you see this post! I would love to get in contact with you.

~Hannah

Offline Maclibris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 April 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a Jane (Jean) Kelman married to James Morgan in 1827. Father of Jane on marriage certificate is given as William , farmer, in the parish of Mortlach.  BUT on her death certificate, 1886 (aged 80) her father is given as Alexander and mother Elizabeth, maiden name Brown. She is buried in Clatt Kirkyard.She died Fattiehead (farm) Alvah, Banff.
This probably just adds to the confusion!

Offline GrayNW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hmm, well I'm not sure if that is the same Jane. My Elizabeth's maiden name is McKenzie. Also the Jane on my tree was born in 1848. The other Jane I know of was born in 1831.

Haha, there are many Scots with the same names all around the same time periods. :) I have the same trouble on my mother's mom's side of the family because they are all Spanish. I haven't even really dug that deep on that one because it's hard to find information.

Offline blacktreestump

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 October 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm tracing James Morgan and Jean Kelman as well. But I'm running into the same brick walls as you are, ie:  George (b. 1829) goes missing without a trace, and Jeans father's first name appears to change.   James and Jean would be my 3rd Great Grandparents, through John b. 1837, James b. 1881.     :) 

Offline Maclibris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 October 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
James and John run throughout Morgan family.  There were several James and John born 1881 to the sons of James and Jean,
Do you mean the direct sons of James and Jean?  Have full family breakdown.  George did disappear however on census return there is an entry for 2 grandchildren born in England, so am assuming something happened to him and children retur ned to grandparents' farm.
Have recently tracked family of son James and Alexander to Canada.  Francis , son of James and Jean is my immediate link. Will try and get back once have opened up my research properly. 

Offline Maclibris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 October 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Re John and James Morgan, - Have photos and newspapert cuttings which may be
of interest re James,  James being a son of John's second marriage. Have met his son Ian .
Think this is definitely a connection - in your case, Clatt, Macduff, Buckie, Aberfeldy
Prestwick ? 

Offline blacktreestump

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 October 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
[email]Goodness, yes that is my line.  You would have met my late Grandfather.  I never did meet him though, his sons migrated to Australia and unfortunately I didn't visit Scotland until after he had passed away.   I am interested in the photos and  news certs, etc.  And would love to share info.. though it certainly sounds like your research is far advanced of mine.

Di

Offline Maclibris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 October 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Di, will send personal message.  Ian was the spitting image of my father!
Recently made contact hopefully with other family in Canada!