Author Topic: WW1 Battle of Ephey 18 September 1918  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Jill E

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WW1 Battle of Ephey 18 September 1918
« on: Monday 09 October 06 06:36 BST (UK) »
My Great Uncle was killed on 18th Sep 1918. I have been told this might have been during the Battle of Ephey...not sure of spelling.

Does anyone know where this is...assuming in France

He is listed on the Memorial  at Vis-En-Artois, Pas De Calais, France. No grave as his body was not found....

Hoping someone knows.

Jill E

Catton- Yorkshire
Thorpe,Webster-Knaresborough
White-Scotton
Jowett, Fox-Bradford
Williamson,Rylatt,Ullyatt,Parker-Sleaford Lincolnshire

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Battle of Ephey 18 September 1918
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 06 07:55 BST (UK) »
morning Jill,

The small village of Epehy is indeed in France (Northern France to be exact). It lays roughly 16m east of Albert and 13m south of Cambrai/33m south of Lille. Your rellie would have been part of the British 4th Army at the time of the attack on the village. If you google Epehy it will come up with a few pages for you to explore and if you go to www.history.com and enter the month (number) and last two digits of the year in the area to the left of the page it will then come up with a series of events that have happened in September, scroll down til you get the correct one and click. The opening page will have a brief history of the events for the battle of Epehy.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Jill E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I did try Google but of course was spelling Epehy wrong so didn't come up with anything.

Poor Old Great Uncle Bertie must still be out there somewhere. I would like to visit sometime in the future but as I live in Australia it has to be part of an extensive Family History tour.....One Day......

Jill E
Catton- Yorkshire
White-Scotton
Jowett, Fox-Bradford

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 06 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill. What was his name and unit?

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Jill E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Sgt Bertie Thorpe CATTON
Regt No 42444 6th Bn Leicestershire Regt
Formerly 17492 York & Lancaster Regt

Jill E
Catton- Yorkshire
White-Scotton
Jowett, Fox-Bradford

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jill. Sorry, but my knowledge is on the 14th Welsh. There is a book called 'The Tigers' by Matthew Richardson (Pen & Sword Books) which covers the 6, 7, 8 and 9th Battalions of the Leicestershire Regiment.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jill. Sorry, but my knowledge is on the 14th Welsh.

Bernard

it would be more true to say Bernard is THE expert on the 14th Welsh and anyone interested in that battalion should look for his excellent book "Swansea Pals"

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:45 GMT (UK) »
if you like ww1,then you will like this book,its excellent,mack

BERNARD,if you are trying to escape from the GWF for a while,then you have run into a trap,we are on here as well ;D ;D.
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Oh,oh. You lot are like a rash - all over the place!

Thanks for the kind comments on the book - much appreciated!

Bernard