Author Topic: WW1 Battle of Ephey 18 September 1918  (Read 7104 times)

Offline honkers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Battle of Ephey 18 September 1918
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 April 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Bernard if you are a r.w.f whizz kid you may be able to help. I have finally discovered my grandad's battalions welsh regiment 73148 18th battalion and r.w.f 80225 14th battalion BUT cannot find when he initially joined and when he was transferred to the r.w.f. I have looked for service records with similar nos but without success....His name was Charles Leonard Doherty from St Helens Lans and he was born in 1899. He tried unsuccessfully to join a Lancashire regiment but was found to be under age. I think he may have fought at the battles around Cambrai as I have read the battalion's records.
Ann

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 April 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Jill E

Back to Bertie Catton.  The action on 18 Sep 1918 is described in detail both in the battalion war diary and (more clearly) in the brigade diary.  The 6th Leicesters part in the battle was to the north of Epehy above Pezieres.  Referring to the side by side maps at:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.0268&lon=3.1288&layers=101465197&right=BingHyb.

They started from Revelon on the east (left) fighting towards and across Linnet Valley in square 19 and gaining Plane Trench and Beech Avenue in squares 25/26 by the end of the day.  Use the zoom to read the names of those places and see where they are on the present day image.
Sadly, as he would have been among the missing that day, we can only say it was somewhere in that part of the battlefield.  Hope I have explained clearly enough?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
For Ann;

I'm asking some REAL experts! Let's see if they can help.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline honkers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 April 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks
but I'm sure you are being modest given what everyone has written about you. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
Ann.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 April 18 23:59 BST (UK) »
I think you'll be able to view this info from Great War Forum experts:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/260697-rwfwelsh-regt-numbering-enquiry/

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline honkers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 April 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
Bernard
Thank you SO MUCH....you and your pals came up trumps!!!! My 87 year old mum will be so happy to have pinned him down. Again thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Ann
Hobart, Australia

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Glad I knew who to ask!  ;D

Bernard