Author Topic: What to do if "not registered born"  (Read 6091 times)

Offline lzc

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What to do if "not registered born"
« on: Tuesday 10 October 06 21:19 BST (UK) »
I'm quite new to this family tree stuff and have come against a bit of a block.  I have found the marriage of my gggGranddad John Christie to Elspet Gauld in Strachan in 1855.  The only problem is that he is 22 and according to the marriage certificate he was born in Marykirk but the birth was not registered.  It has his parents as David Christie and Elizabeth Christie.  How can I go further back than John without any birth records for him?  I have found John in the 1851 Census in Fordoun working as a farm labourer.  Also possibly in Glenbervie in the 1841 Census at the age of 8 as an agricultural labourer (this census doesn't have the place of birth on it so I can't confirm it's definitely him).  Any suggestions for how I can get any further back and also on why he wasn't registered born would be really helpful.
Thanks ??? ???

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What to do if "not registered born"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi lzc

Welcome to RootsChat.

Civil registration only began in Scotland in 1855, so presumably what it means is that his birth was not recorded in the parish records at the time of his birth or even that he was not baptised.  Some parish ministers did not keep the records properly and in Scotland many burials were never recorded at all.  There was more interest in the living!

Does the marriage certificate say if his parents are still alive?  If you can find a death certificate for either of them after 1855, then you will find their parents' names (including maiden names of the mother).  That at least would take you another generation back.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

John Christie was married to my husband's 3 x great Aunt Elspet Gauld of  Strachan, Kincardineshire.

According to trees on Ancestry, John Christie died 31 Dec 1917,  20 Damacre Rd, Brechin, Angus, Scotland. Would his death certificate offer details of his parents? Two trees have his parents as David Christie (b, d unknown) and Elizabeth Garland (b Fordoun c 1808)?. I can take a look at census info if you need this.

AncesStory
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Could you just clarify what makes you think his birth wasn't registered?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:44 GMT (UK) »
To be more accurate erhaps I should have asked what makes you think his birth wasn't recorded in a parish register.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
according to the marriage certificate he was born in Marykirk but the birth was not registered.  It has his parents as David Christie and Elizabeth Christie.

I was curious as to the difference in parentage of John Christie, (spouse of Elspet Gauld).between his marriage certificate and his death certificate.  According to   SP, (CHRISTIE, JOHN (Statutory Deaths 275/00 0144)) John's parents are recorded as John Christie, farm servant and Elizabeth Christie M.S. Garland. The informant on this death registration was James Anderson, son in law.
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Could not find my ggrandmothers birth on Free BMD for .1855 in Northampton.Ancestry brought out Northants records and I found a baptism for her when she was 17 together with a much younger brother. They had several children and hers was the only one not registered.They were low class shoemakers....perhaps they just forgot
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 March 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »
lzc posted in October 2006 but hasn't been back since  :-\

Unfortunately s/he logged off before reading Little Nell's post so won't get any more notifications that we have posted and as s/he only has a post count of 1, can't be contacted through the personal message system.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea