Author Topic: Confused about spouse  (Read 10322 times)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about spouse
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 October 06 23:34 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Susan .......Thats it i'm off. Thats two mistakes i have made now on one posting topic. I need some glasses or a drop of the hard stuff :o It's bad enough when you start making mistakes when they are your  own >:(

Sometimes you just get to a point where you really need to turn the computer off..........just to give your brain a rest.  Night Night

cheryle

mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 October 06 23:41 BST (UK) »

Priscilla Pearson Jul Aug Sept 1841 Newent ?V (please check)348

regards cheryle.f

The volume for Newent is XI, although the image doesn't look like that  ::)

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 October 06 08:35 BST (UK) »
The volume for Newent is XI, although the image doesn't look like that  ::)

It looks llke XI to me. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 October 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
 ;D Morning Geoff,  I have come to the decision that when you aquire the status in the dizzying hieghts of Aristocrat that they must present you with some superhuman powers..... ;D even now i cannot see that it looks like X1.......but what do i know i am a mere mortal  ;) Thank you to you and Susan for keeping watch and it is great because I also am learning all the time. The only problem for LBD is that at no time in any census following is John Pearson doing a job that ' Discharger' comes into play. Unless on the marriage certificate it has been misread and actually states 'Discharged' as in an Army Discharge.. Is that possible. Or Likely :-\. Where as the other father James worked in the mines where i read that the discharge arm was the large arm with some sort of device attached to it that was used to move the coal away from the face. Maybe if you did that job you were called the Discharger but like Prue havent found any concrete evidence of this as an occupation. A look back to see that James was baptised James John may help especially as Priscilla was named after her mother in this family and there was a son John as well. Anyway with the brilliant people working together on this site(bar me untill i get some new glasses) :'( i am sure that LBD will get there eventually.

very best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 October 06 13:06 BST (UK) »
;D Morning Geoff,  I have come to the decision that when you aquire the status in the dizzying hieghts of Aristocrat that they must present you with some superhuman powers..... ;D

:D The superhuman powers came first ... a requirement for any aristocrat  ;D

Assuming it's the same John PEARSON in 1861 (I haven't checked it), this this is the third shoemaker I've come across in 1851 who has had a distinct career change by 1861 (the others became a postman and a painter).  I've decided that the "factoryisation*" of the shoe industry and the coming of the railways lessened the need for so many village shoemakers.

I've a feeling that the "discharge arm" of which you speak would be a much later device, introduced after mechanisation of the coal mines (but I've not checked on this).

* Aristocrats are allowed to make up their own words.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlebrownduck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 October 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
Wow. You lot really work hard. Thanks for all your efforts.

What I think most ppl are saying are that its most likely to either be the Dymock lot or the family of James and Priscilla, if I follow you all correctly. Hmmm. Certainly food for thought. Your views are greatly appreciated because I ended up totally confused when I looked at this myself.

I've checked on the marriage certificate and I'm as sure as I can be that it says "discharger" not discharged. My mother always assumed that it meant someone who unloaded boats on the canals but I prefer the coal mining version. But I do think that ppl changed occupations rather a lot. Darius' father goes from being nailor, to boatman, to carter so we shouldn't get too hung up on the "discharger" business

I've checked all the Runcorn registers, and no-where does the name Priscilla pop up (at least that I've found). Elizabeth always calls herself Elizabeth.

Too be honest we'd always wondered if Darius had married one sister and then run off with another, but maybe it's just as simple as Priscilla changing her name. *sigh* I suspect we'll never know. But I do think it's slightly suspicious that there's a 5 yr gap between Darius marrying Priscilla (in 1863) and the first child of Darius and Elizabeth being born in Runcorn (in 1868). Thereafter, children are born every 2/3 years.

So any more thoughts are gratefully received. You lot are wonderful. Thanks

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 October 06 14:36 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi LBD....as if things were not complicated enough already i'm going to throw this in the cake mix as well.....sorry...... ;D

Death  Priscilla Rogers Jan Feb Mar 1865 Exeter 5B 76

She may not be anything to do with you..........but very strange it's the year range you were looking for......

regards cheryle.f

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 October 06 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is an Eliza Pearson, born 15 June 1843 and christened in Aug 1843 at Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester on the IGI, parents were John Pearson and Elizabeth.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 October 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
What was the name of the witnesses on the marriage cert for Darius and Priscilla?  You never know they could yield some clues.  Also I don't suppose an address was given for Priscilla!!

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk