Author Topic: Mysterious McCormicks in Campbeltown  (Read 16568 times)

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Granny Dot - my great grandmother
    • View Profile
Mysterious McCormicks in Campbeltown
« on: Friday 13 October 06 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am not having much luck in tracking down some of my McCormicks from Campbeltown.

I have John McCormick (my great great grandfather).  So far I have not been able to find any birth or christening record of him.  I am not so concerned about that.  On his marriage certificate (1866) his parents are recorded as Brian McCormick and Ann McNeill (decd).  (My copy of this certificate is at home so I can't check his age).

On John's death certificate (1913) his parents are recorded as Bernard McCormick (decd) and Ann McNeill.  John's age is recorded as 70 (giving a birth year of around 1843).

On the 1891 and 1901 censuses John's age is consistent with a birth year of 1843. 

I have also found who I am 99% certain is John's sister - Rosina McCormick.  On her marriage certificate to Hector McNeill (Mc)Gill (1873), her parents are recorded as Brian McCormick (decd) and Catherine McNeill (decd).  Her age is 19 (giving a birth year of 1854).

On her death certificate (1917) her parents are Brian McCormick (decd) and Ann McNeill (decd).  Her age is 58 (giving a birth year of 1859).

So far I have only found Rosina (aka Rose) on the 1901 census. (Have been concentrating on other lines instead).  Her age there is 44 (birth year 1857).  No luck in finding her birth or christening.

John had two daughters named Rosina so it makes sense these two are brother and sister.  John and Rosina have consistent birthplaces of Campbeltown, Argyll.

As for their parents, apart from the marriage and death certificates mentioned above, the only possible mention I have found of them is an extracted marriage on the IGI of Bryan McCormig and Ann McNeill, 8 Dec 1838, Southend, Argyll.

I have not been able to find Brian or Bernard on any censuses.  Even varying the spelling of both given and surnames hasn't been much help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Debbie
DICKSON, COWAN, ARMSTRONG, MARTIN - Roxburghshire
MITCHELL, MCCORMICK, CAMERON, CLEGG - Argyllshire
HOY - Essex, Australia
GRUNDY - Berkshire, Australia
ROPER - Hampshire, Australia
GILLIES - Aberdeenshire, Australia
BANKHEAD - Ireland?, Australia

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious McCormicks in Campbeltown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 October 06 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Go to the FREECEN site,  click Campbeltown,  and 1841 census, and type in BRION MACCORMICK
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 October 06 06:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks tootsiepie.

Still confused over the Ann/Catherine thing though.  Will have to see if I can find anything about the 1 year old Mary as well.
HOY - Essex, Australia

Offline mtosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 14:17 GMT (UK) »
interested in the mccormicks been tracing for a friend whose gran was elizabeth mccormick sister of alice ,rosina ,peter, great grand parents john  and wife mary glegg from arran

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi mtosh,

That is my family!!  I am descended from another sister, Jean (or Jane).

The John McCormick mentioned at the beginning of this thread is the one who married Mary Clegg.

I would love to hear more from you as I have nothing on Elizabeth or her family, but have quite a bit on some of the others.  I have heaps on the Cleggs (who have spread to England, Canada and Australia).

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Debbie
HOY - Essex, Australia

Offline mtosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
you will have much more than i have for sure a short version  i have as the father of john mccormick as bernard mccormick or bryan mccormig who married ann mcneil on 8th dec 1838 at castle hill manse campbelltown i have them with two children at moment one being john and the other rosina.not followed up on rosina as yet.
john as you know maried mary glegg; i havent followed the gleg line as yet either , i have as their children: john brn 20/6/1874 ; rosina brn 10/9/1883 other children as elizabeth ,alice,peter.william.jane, helen, betty and mary how accurate that is im not too sure at the moment. alice married james mccrank and had at least two sons james and john and would appear to have stayed in campbelltown;  Rosina married hugh muir; i assume you will have most of that line, iv not got the most recent.  peter married an elizabeth mcintyre on 30/10/1897 in campbeltown he died on 17/10/1950
elizabeth married john dunnett on 12/04/1907 in govan she has changed her name to mccormack she died on 25th july 1933 their son john  mccormackdunett was born 16.12/1919 in brough caithness he married a jessie mckay and the had four children ian ,ishbel ,hugh ,and elizabeth . i have more details  of the dunnet connection but as yet not  itemised them. hope this is off interest to you . this a bit long winded way of doing things not sure if can send attachments

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi mtosh,

This is of definite interest to me.

I'll send you a Personal Message with my email details.

Debbie
HOY - Essex, Australia

Offline tinamccrank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
hi Alice McCormick was my great great grandmother!!!   Interested in sharing some info with you!!!! 

"alice married james mccrank and had at least two sons james and john and would appear to have stayed in campbelltown"

plz get in touch

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 December 10 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tina,

I would love to hear more from you.

In order for me to send a personal message to you (including my email), you need to make at least 3 posts on Rootschat.

So, just make two more replies to this topic and I'll be able to contact you directly.

Looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Debbie
HOY - Essex, Australia