Author Topic: Where is/was Balnaglich, Petty?  (Read 10969 times)

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is/was Balnaglich, Petty?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 December 06 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christine,

Many thanks for your offer of pics. I would very much like to have something to ask for but I haven't discovered enough yet! My gggrandmother from Balnaglack is buried in Rafford, Moray and although I've been through the Old Petty MI booklet I haven't found one that could be for her father and mother. The only possibility is the John Macintosh mentioned in Reply#3 above; but do you know where is Brachlich of Calder. Could it be Cawdor?

If you live near Old Petty churchyard you must be near Balnaglack, too. What sort of a place is it, do you know? It looks to be in a nice spot down by the shores of the Firth. Would it be worth a visit, if I can get there next summer?

It would be a nice surprise if they were mentioned in your book on Petty. After New Year is fine by me.

Once again, many thanks for the contact.
Regards, Alastair MacDonald
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 December 06 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alastair,

Go to http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/os_scotland_popular_list.html
Sheet 28 - Nairn & Cromarty
The second major woodland in from the south-west corner is Cawdor Wood.
At the top of the woodland is Cawdor.
A shot distance north-east of that is Brackla House (with distillery next door).

On many old records, Cawdor is written as Calder. I would be surprised if Brackla is not the Brachlich of Calder  that you are seeking.

ADP

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 06 10:20 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the above, I see there is a Brackley, that was listed on some older maps as Bracklish. On the 1920s map listed above it was in Inverness-shire, just over the boundary from Nairnshire.

As above, find Cawdor, then follow thre road out to the North-west. Just before you reach the red road (nowadays the A96 Inverness to Aberdeen road), you should see Brackley. Beyond the crossroads you should also see Milton of Breachlich.

Pre-1891, this could well have been in Cawdor parish, as at that time the parish was split across the county boundary into Inverness-shire, although mostly in Nairnshire. It looks like the Inverness-shire portion was transferred into Petty parish as a result of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889 that tidied up the parishes that were across county boundaries over the course of the following few years.

ADP

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 January 07 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello ADP and a Happy New Year to you,

Thanks for the suggestions. I found them on the map with no problem. Could be either place I suppose, although I favour the Brackley one over Brackla, even though there is a distillery there. More research needed.

Regards, Alastair
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Smudge3311

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
It’s an old thread but if you want to know where Bracklish is then please ask, it has been spelt different ways over the years and has a cemetery located at it, it is close to Brackley, possibly a mile, but is a good few miles from Brackla, maybe 5?

I have family buried at Brackish (breachlich, Bracklich etc), and I was born a mile away from there

Garry

Garry

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Christine Calder

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 July 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Good morning, I have just joined Roots chat and was amazed to see all this chat about Mary McIntosh of Petty. I am just working on the Calder family tree as a present for my brother-in-laws 70th birthday. Mary McIntosh married  James Calder in 1806, who I think died early 1800s. Mary is living with her son in 1841 census as a pauper in Grantown and died in 1858.
Does anyone have any further information or grave records of these people?