Author Topic: Jonathan Bell - Rangiora, Canterbury  (Read 13000 times)

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Bell - Rangiora, Canterbury
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 October 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
 Well Done,  team.

8)

Offline Mensor38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 October 06 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,
Thanks ever so much for your information - not only putting flesh on the bones, but for the skin and the hair also - a bonus!

I'm glad you mentioned the origin of the name Foston, as this has solved another puzzle - Jonathan Bell's baptismal place was Allington.............. and  it turns out that Foston is about half a mile north of Allington, they both being small villages near Grantham - it certainly removes any lingering doubts about this being the 'right' Jonathan Bell.

I suppose then next step is to trace the chldren and grandchildren to see whether any became watchmakers..........

Thanks again for your digging and help.

Michael
Lincolnshire,  Christian, Dent, Green, Harrison, Priest, Shepherd, Williams,

Offline Mensor38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Again my thanks for all your help - I did promise to fill in the English bit - which your efforts helped me to unravel - the key clue being knowledge of Jonathon's daughter, Lucy and her marriage to Edmund, which rather set Jonathan's age range

Jonathon Bell, New Zealand Immigrant

He is, certainly, one of the children of William Bell and Ann, who lived at East Allington. They had thirteen children between 1781 and 1808.Jonathon was chr 12 Aug 1798, followed by Catherine (my line) 19 Aug 1800, Elizabeth 6 Feb 1803, Lucy 13 Aug 1805, and Mary 16 Oct 1808.
Jonathon Bell married Elizabeth Lowe, 4 Apr 1825, subject to verification and has recorded, children, (via IGI batch No C055341, for Foston) Anne Bell  23rd Nov 1828, Lucy 27 Feb 1831, Mary 6 Apr 1834, and Elizabeth 15 May 1836, and by census record, Jonathan Bell born in 1843.
(The Jonathon Bell recorded as being chr 16 Oct 1832 was a son of Daniel Bell, a brother of Jonathon Bell, and Lucy Charles and can thus, now, be discounted)

1841 Census for Foston: Jonathon Bell, 40, Ag Lab; Elizabeth Bell, 35; Sarah Singleton, 20; Ann Bell, 13; Lucy Bell, 10 and Elizabeth Bell, 5 (No Mary Bell, 7,  or a Jonathon Bell as a son)
1851 Census for Foston: Jonathan Bell, 52, Ag Lab, born Allington; Elizabeth Bell, Wife, and Dressmaker 49, born Gt Grimsby; Elizabeth Bell, Daughter 14, born Foston; Jonathan Bell, Son 7, born Foston

A Jonathan Bell, classified as a labourer, emigrated to Lyttelton, Christchurch, New Zealand on the "Caroline Agnes" arriving 16 August 1855, after leaving London on 19th April 1855. He was accompanied by a wife and son (not  named). There were two passengers, classified as female servants with the names of  L and E Bell. (Could these have been Lucy and Elizabeth Bell?)
If this is the 'right' Jonathon Bell, then he would have been about 57 when he emigrated - this seems to make sense as his daughter Lucy would have been about 24 at the emigration, and about 25 when she married Edmund Land in 1856. (The Jonathan Bell born about 1832 would have been too young to have a marriagable daughter in 1856!)

All the best,

Michael

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 November 08 23:26 GMT (UK) »

In the interests of good housekeeping, I’ve moved this post to completed.

Assistance has been provided …….

Offline barcroftlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I have just found this site in March 2011, some years after the post started, by Googling the name Jonathan Bell, Canterbury, NZ and was directed here. I do not know if the original poster still comes on and being a new chum I am still finding my way around. Now that I have found it I can tell you that my wife is a direct descendant of Jonathan Bell who came out on the Caroline Agnes named above and was a Bell until she married me. Her ancestors on both sides were early settlers in Rangiora and feature in its early history. So if you are still around Mensor 38 we might be able to help in your search. Cheers.

Offline Mensor38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barcroft Lad,

Yes, I'm still around and pleased to hear from you, perhaps we can compare notes sometime. This brief note is just to establish contact

Mensor38

Offline barcroftlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barcroft Lad,

Yes, I'm still around and pleased to hear from you, perhaps we can compare notes sometime. This brief note is just to establish contact

Mensor38

Hi Mensor 38. Thanks for this. Sorry for delay in response, just a tad busy! My wife's sister is just visiting from Canada and she says that she has a family tree so is going to send a copy and when she returns home is going to follow up on this thread. She is thrilled to hear of the link and the connection.Cheers.

Offline Mensor38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 March 11 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barcroftlad,

Thanks for the reply - the family tree sounds to be very interesting and I wait with bated breath .......................

Mensor38

Offline barcroftlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 March 11 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mensor 38
There is another sister who also has info and she says that she will follow up on this thread. My info is second hand and from memory. You might as well deal with the family direct. I hope that you don't run out of breath in the meantime. Cheers