Author Topic: Roxburgh  (Read 20818 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roxburgh
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gransfamily,
I'll list what info I have and you can see if its relevant? (I'm afraid I cant give out any details of people who are still living...sorry :()

I have John son of John and Jean Smith born 1797 died 1858 m Agnes Gebbie of Riccarton(?) in 1825
Agnes Gebbie b 5/09/1802 daughter of John Gebbie and Rachel Brown in Loudon

Their children were
John b1826 d 1897 and was an "inspector of the poor"?????
Grizal b 1828
Jean b 1830
Elisabeth b 1832
James b 1836

James b 1836 m Joan Donaldson in 1862
Joan was the daughter of John Donaldson (calico printer) and Mary Campbell
James (b1836) was a shopkeeper (Grocer)
James and Joan had the following children
Mary Campbell Roxburgh b1864 in Dalry Ayr
John b 1866 in Old Monkland Lanark
Agnes Gebbie Roxburgh b 1867  in Old Monkland Lanark
James b1868 in Old Monkland Lanark
Joanna Donaldson Roxburgh b 1872 in Old Monkland Lanark
Jeanie Burns Roxburgh b1874 in New Kilpatrick Dunbarton

Jeanie Burns Roxburgh married Gilbert Hume Paton in 1899 at St Rollox lanark
James Roxburgh b 1868 d1939 married 1) Annie Kenyon Douglas in 1893. They had 1 child James Donaldson Roxburgh b 1895 d 1898. Annie d 1895.
James remarried Jessie Mathilde Lindsay in 1903 (she was b 1869 d 1951)
Their children were
Donald Stuart b 1903 d 1903
Jeanie b 1904
Allan b 1905
John b 1906
Malcolm b 1907 - 1932 Killed in car accident
Joan b 1909 -1965
Gavin b 1910-1986
Colin b 1914 d 198?

This is the line I am descended from.

A little other info I have is
John Roxburgh b 17.1.1827 d 20.3.1880 Inspector of Poor
married Mary Young and their children were
Hugh G. Roxburgh
Agnes G. Roxburgh b 14/12/1879 d 25/12/1925
Catherine Y Roxburgh

Hope that helps
AH
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh and one other thing
James Roxburgh b 1868 d 1939 was a Policeman in Manchester. Family legend has it thst he had to dive into the River Irwell to save a woman who was drowning. As the Irwell was virtually an open sewer/industrial waste drain at this point he was subsequently invalided out of the police and moved to North Wales with his family where he was a ? estate warden ? at the forest near Betws-y-coed. I've never checked any of that out but always thought it was a really great story!
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline Greenbank

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 January 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my Roxburgh family history in Scotland and have got back to James Roxburgh born on 29/3/1839 in Kilmaurs Ayrshire.  He was a quarrymaster and died in Edinburgh on 29/1/1929.  He was married to Janet Barr Wilson.

I realise Roxburgh is a very common name but wonder if there is any connection.

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 January 12 01:12 GMT (UK) »
I've no connection to Roxburgh but I have looked at a few Roxburgh families in the Galston area.   There is a marriage reg. in scotlandspeople for James R & Janet Barr Wilson and it gives the father as Andrew R & mother Janet Steel.  According to the 1851 FREECEN census for Kilmarnock, Andrew was born in Craigie & Janet in Kilmaurs.  Andrew's parents appear to be John R & Agnes Arnile(?) M: 1810 Craigie.  According to 1841 FREECEN there is a John R (age 75) Town Officer in Kilmaurs, amongst other names there is a 55 year old Agnes which could be his daughter.  If you haven't got this info already then that takes you back a couple more generations.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Greenbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 January 12 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agnes14

Thank you very much for the information which, as you say, takes me back a further two generations.
I shall press ahead via Scotland's People and census records as well as checking through the other Roots Chat posts in detail to see if there are any links.  Best wishes,  Greenbank

Offline mikel2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 November 15 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear AH
I link to Gilbert Hume Paton and would be interested to know if you have cousins descending from that line interested in geneology and making contact with Paton cousins (offboard I mean! - I share your views on living dscendents)?
Moira

Offline stebecwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 May 16 23:23 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was from Galston, Ayr, Scotland.  Her name was Mary Roxburgh, daughter of Andrew and Mary Hindlay (Henley) Roxburgh.  He was born in 1833 in Galston.  They married in Stewarton in 1856.  Andrew's parents were John Roxburgh and Agnes Sharp.  I cannot find much on Mary Hindlay, other than she was born around 1835 in Kilmarnock.

Mary Roxburgh came to the US in the late 1880s, married a John Clyde, and had two sons:  William and Eschol.  Both John and Mary died at an early age, leaving the two young sons to be raised by her sister.

From what I can find, her father, Andrew came to the US in 1900.

Any suggestions as to finding out more about this side of my family?  Does anyone else out there have this connection? 

We are visiting Scotland at the end of the month and want to do some research.

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 May 16 07:19 BST (UK) »
As mentioned before I have some information on Roxburgh, tracing back to John Roxburgh and Jean Dunning, Ancestors of Mary R & John Clyde.  I have no connection with the family but I have an interest in Loudoun and Galston Parishes and in particular Loudoun kirkyard.  I would be happy to pass on any information I have, if you are interested.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Roxburgh in Galston
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 12 May 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
Galston parish records between January 1818 and April 1820 are missing - or at least they were a few years ago - from the LDS records. However I have a copy of the missing entries. There were 150 births missed out when the micro films were made.

This may be a person of interest to you