Author Topic: Administration documents  (Read 2228 times)

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
Administration documents
« on: Sunday 15 October 06 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,  This is my first posting to Rootschat & hopefully someone will have the answer to what is probably a very simple question.  I have copied some 'administration' documents at the archives & some are quite difficult to read, but I can understand most of it.  However, can someone explain to me the difference between administration documents & wills? 
Many thanks,
Debbie
P.S. Huge apologies if I've put this on the wrong forum!!
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Administration documents
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Welcome to Rootschat and, yes, this is just the right place for your question :)

Do you mean "grants of administration" which were issued when somebody died intestate ie. without leaving a will?  These were issued to enable the estate to be distributed in such cases.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wow, that was quick!  Ok, these are on pre written forms with the gaps filled in by hand.  They have 'Administration Bond' & the price of 'Three Half pence sheet'   stamped on them with the Royal seal too. 
Does that make sense? 

Thanks,

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 06 11:44 BST (UK) »
I just realised I can attach docs on here...so here's one I found yesterday!