Author Topic: Richard PIKE of Newbury  (Read 4038 times)

Offline dapike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Richard PIKE of Newbury
« on: Tuesday 17 October 06 00:54 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anybody has information about a Richard PIKE of Newbury, born in 1598.  His son Richard gave rise to a prominent family in Cork, Ireland.

One thing that has me a bit confused are the occasional statements that Richard (born in 1598) was "Sir Richard".  However, I have not yet found any authoritative/reliable references.

- David.
Some of my surname interests in the UK: 
  HOBBS and LINTERN (in Ditcheat, Somerset)
  PREST / PRICE / PRIEST (in Cranborne, Dorset)
  PIKE (in Poole, Dorset as well as Portsmouth, Hampshire)

I am a volunteer administrator for the Pike/Pyke DNA Project...
https://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history/pike/DNA

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard PIKE of Newbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 20:17 BST (UK) »
You say "of Newbury" - where does this come form - there are no PIKEs baptised in Newbury, Berkshire in that period. Could it be another Newbury (Somerset, Kent or Wiltshire)?  Or even Newby?

Of course he may not have been baptised in the parish church (Catholic perhaps).

After a quick bit of googling I see there are possible links to Somerset but a fair way from Newbury . . . . . .
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline dapike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 21:53 BST (UK) »
Richard is described as "of Newbury, Berks" in a number of places, including in Burke's.  Several of his descendants were Quakers, so perhaps he might have been as well.

- David.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
1598 (is see 1589 in other references) is too early for the Quakers and I don't think there was any organised nonconformists in Newbury that far back. They did burn some protestants in 1556 and a Lollard in 1518 - pleasant times :(

He could have become a Quaker late in life (Quakers date from around 1650) - by that time Newbury in Massachussetts had already been founded by puritan emigrants from the Newbury, Berks area. One of these, Benjamin Woodbridge became the first graduate of Harvard in 1634 - he later returned to Newbury Berks and became Rector of the parish.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Robin Pike

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi David, I am a descendant of Richard Pike of Newbury. I have details of the family tree going back to Richard Pike but I am sure it would have mentioned Richard Pike as being a Sir if that were the case.
Is there a particular reference of such information? Also it was only several generations later that the family became Quakers, at which point they lived in Cork, Ireland. In particular at that time Joseph Pike became good friends with William Penn before William Penn settled in America. Regards, Robin.

Offline dapike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
This might just be a case of some people mistakenly promoting an ancestor to a status that he didn't actually have.  Although there does appear to have been a Sir Richard Pike in the 1300s, I haven't found anything to confirm that Richard of Newbury had such a title.

Incidentally, a descendant of Richard of Newbury is in the Pike DNA Project, so we know that Richard's patriline belongs to a larger Pike cluster that seems to be centred around Hampshire, Wiltshire and Berkshire.