Author Topic: GERMANY: Niedersachsen Archive site  (Read 54061 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GERMANY: Niedersachsen Archive site
« on: Monday 16 October 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
This is a great new state website which is being constantly updated from surviving migration records and some include the cost the migrants paid!   I haven't found my gt.grandfather online yet but I've seen there are migration records of some of his uncles & aunts to Australia and USA with the notes: 
Juni 1864 heimlich ausgewandert (secretly emigrated)
and:  verurteilt als ausgetretener Militärpflichtiger (condemned as withdrawn from required military service)

Out of curiosity I entered the family's village and was excited to see details of my 3 x gt.grandfather's name and place of work plus there's a document I can order showing other family members complaining about the cost of using the new windmill  :o 

http://aidaonline.niedersachsen.de/

Good Hunting
Rena in England
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Useful Tips: GERMANY and E. Europe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 06 04:47 BST (UK) »
can you direct us further in using this site? I can't seem to find anything much on either Bergzabern or Weyrauch, and what I did find I didn't understand all that much. and the dates didn't fit. a pity the site isn't available in English. I also couldn't find the surname Ultsch, which could be Ultch or some such in the old country, and got no hits back for the town of Scheichen.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Me too!  No idea what to do with this site.  All I can get out of it are bad maps.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 06 10:33 BST (UK) »
Sometimes there's so many people on the site I've had to enter my search word twice.
On home page if there's no place to enter your search criteria (surname, etc) look on the left -
1)you are looking to click on Allgemein Recherche which is under the word 'suche'
2) Enter name in space provided
3) look on righthand side CLICK on "Auswandersuche"

4) If the next page does NOT have a list of state ARCHIVs enter your search word again on this new page and click WEITER which will bring up the page containing the list of archives.  There are a handful of archives (about6 or 7)

5) directly under the archive list on the right is SUCHEN - click on 'Suchen'

YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT THE RESULTS PAGE
6) This next page will have every item that each archive has on your subject and each item is given an archive reference number "Bestellnumber".   On the right of each number is a short outline of what the document is.

You need to look out that you don't miss other documents - so scroll to the bottom of the webpage to see what this page consists of:  sometimes under each section is Page 1 of 104 ("Seite 1 of 104") and you should click on the arrow > to bring up the next page of that section.

To give you an idea: My family is from the state of Hannover the prefix is "HANN74" and the family lived in the Liebenburg area therefore the ref would be "HANN 74 Liebenburg --- "  I do look at other references because the port of departure would have an embarkation record.  If the family had secretly absconded other authorities would have a record of them.

Hope this helps
Rena

Moderator Comment:  Update May 2017:
The site has changed since Rena's original entry. Here are her new instructions :) 

Here's the Home page link where it gives instructions of what's available if you use the site if you're unregistered and what extra is available if you register:-

https://www.arcinsys.niedersachsen.de/arcinsys/start.action?oldNodeid=

Step 1) on the upper tags, click on "Search", then on the drop down box click on "Simple Search"

.....which will bring you to this page:-
https://www.arcinsys.niedersachsen.de/arcinsys/einfachesuche.action

Step 2)
Enter your surname of interest
Click on "All Archives"
Click on "Search"

Step 3)  The Results Page has a blue band part way across it which has the number of "hits" you have received together with the number of web pages.

and on the left of the page is a list of all the archives.  Here's a translation of the archive list:-

Provincial Archives
        county archives
        city Archive
        municipal archives
        Parliament and party archives
        Church archives
        University and university archives
        economy Archive
        Domicile, house and family archives
        media archive
        Other archives
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 October 06 10:41 BST (UK) »

YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT THE RESULTS PAGE
6) This next page will have every item that each archive has on your subject and each item is given an archive reference number "Bestellnumber".   On the right of each number is a short outline of what the document is.

I forgot to mention  (No.6) that once you get to the page showing the Reference Numbers (Bestellnumber) you'll see those numbers are underlined which is an indication that you should click on it.

Sorry I've been so longwinded - I've been doing the actions on the website whilst I've been writing this so you should be ok.
Rena

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 06 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rena
Looks a really useful website - although I'm going to have to swot up on my german!  At last somewhere that lists lots of Löwenthals!  Just have to work out if any of them are mine  :-\ :-\

Julie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 October 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rena.  Will have to try this when I'm fresh and alert! 
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 October 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
Didn't have any luck finding my elusive ancestors (Jewish Germans - need I say more!), but can recommend using Babel Fish translator to help with translating German to English.  It's free  ;D ;D

http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 October 06 16:13 BST (UK) »
Didn't have any luck finding my elusive ancestors (Jewish Germans - need I say more!), but can recommend using Babel Fish translator to help with translating German to English.  It's free  ;D ;D

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Remind me what the names are and any clues, such as occupation or birth year and I'll have a look.
Rena