Author Topic: GERMANY: Niedersachsen Archive site  (Read 54062 times)

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Useful Tips: GERMANY and E. Europe
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 October 06 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rena,

It's only one person I've got to go on  :'(

Surname: Löwenthal/Loewenthal/Lowenthal
First Name: Maurice/Moses/Marcus/Morice/Morris/Mordechai (his Jewish name)

He was born in 1831 in Prussia, possibly Berlin (1871 census says Berlin, 1861 census is unreadable but NOT Berlin!)
The first definite siting in UK is 1860 when he married in the Synagogue, Parish of Great Saint Helens, London.  He married an English Jew.  His father is named as Lipmann (or that what it looks like!) on his wedding cert. but is "deceased" in 1860.  I also have a copy of his Jewish wedding certificate.
He worked as a manufacturer of leather goods.
He died in 1880 in Southwark. 

Not a lot to go on really, I know.  I did find a Moses Lowenthal in the naturalisation records, obviously got very excited, but it wasn't him  :'(

Any help greatly appreciated, have been very slowly circling in on him for the last 9 years!

Julie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 October 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Two great minds think alike.  I entered judisch and jud* (with umlaut) onto the site and I mostly got reams of names of schools, synagogues, police archives dating from 1700's onwards.
I then entered all of your surname with a wildcard* instead of the last syllable.  There were only 2 families from the parish of Uslar and they went to America - have you linked up with them - they may have spare information that you could use. 

I've also been onto the Teldir telefon site and can see your name is listed for 125 people - several are in BERLIN - addresses are given. I noticed others were mostly in other large cities such as Hamburg, Koeln/Cologne, Essen, Munich, Frankfurt and a handful dotted in small places.  Interestingly there's a family in Goettingen which is only 36K from Uslar.
You can get onto Teldir white pages and use its English version by going to www.infobel.com  website. 

Possibly your man stated the nearest large town? I don't know which principality Berlin was in prior to 1861 but presumably you would.  Have you joined a good vibrant genealogy mailing list such as hannover-l  ?  Usually if nobody has any direct info they can point to certain aids. This year one newbie USA researcher was given a few names from the phone book, she wrote to a likely family - and got an excited reply - "We are your family"!!!   :o

Wish that happened to me  :-\

As an afterthought - you mentioned Lipmann - were there any Lipmann's on the census you looked at?  Quite often family and neighbours follow the first emigrants. This happened in my case, proved when I compared the 1871 English (Hull) census with the 1852 German census and saw all surnames had come from one small area around Salzgitter.

Good luck
Rena in England
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 October 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena
do the records you acess have anything around 1811? I have been brickwalled by my hubbies Raphael family ............on the 1841 they are down as foriegn on the 1851 it says German british subject..............Samuel Raphael & Sarah Franks  I do know Sarahs parents but not where in Germany they come from but all I know of Samuel is that on his marriage record it says  heis son of Meir HaLevi............Ihave tried lots of sites but no luck so any suggestions gratefully received

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 October 06 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena:

:DThank you for the tips.  Will try to wend my way into this site.  Looking for Palatines who left Prussia abt 1708 or 1709.  Surname is May?  Wonder if that is Anglacized?  Do you know?  Thanks for the tips.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena
do the records you acess have anything around 1811? I have been brickwalled by my hubbies Raphael family ............on the 1841 they are down as foriegn on the 1851 it says German british subject..............Samuel Raphael & Sarah Franks  I do know Sarahs parents but not where in Germany they come from but all I know of Samuel is that on his marriage record it says  heis son of Meir HaLevi............Ihave tried lots of sites but no luck so any suggestions gratefully received

sandie

Several archives are putting records onto the site - I see some go back to the 1700's. 
I don't know what you are referring to for the 1811 year, if it's a birth year you will not find any church records on this site, although it does give archive addresses.  Napoleon ruled most of Europe until about 1812.  I didn't know Raphael was a German name, however, I see it was used MOSTLY as a given name and if your family were/are Jewish there were RAPHAEL references on the website - if I recall correctly there were a few Solomon Raphael references (Judisch/Jewish)  You can either use babelfish or the google language translator for rough translations.

<<he is son of Meir HaLevi>>   There was reference to Meyer/Meier on the Raphael search - I think you need to go to the site yourself.

I think I've looked up the Frank name before and it's been in England for centuries according to nationalarchive online records - there used to be a European mainland tribe with that name.  Frank/Franck/Franke is a common name in Germany and the server timed out on me.  Were your Frank family musicians?  Coincidentally there was a Frank family in the Salzgitter area I'm researching :-

Steinlah parish records showing a
Johann Konrad Ehlers (b18-1-1829), musician, married to
Johanna Marie Katharine Sophie FRANKE (b21-2-1831).

London Census:
John FRANK  Lodger (Head)  W  Male  71  Germany  Musician

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena:

:DThank you for the tips.  Will try to wend my way into this site.  Looking for Palatines who left Prussia abt 1708 or 1709.  Surname is May?  Wonder if that is Anglacized?  Do you know?  Thanks for the tips.

Lauraine

I haven't the foggiest notion  ::)
I know we had a famous English cricketer called Peter May a few decades ago.  I've had a look at the British nationalarchives to see if your May family served in one of our armies made up of locals over in Europe but I got thousands of archive entries based on the month of 'May'!  I should imagine it used to be the normal Meyer/Meier but it's always best to keep an open mind.

Talking of armies reminds me - I noticed on the site that some emigrant records referred to the military, but I don't know whether the men (and sometimes with their families) were being sent to USA as soldiers or what.  If you've been on familysearch site you will have seen in the library there's quite a few films of the military conscription rolls - every parish priest had to send the names of every young male in his parish as soon as he reached 18 or 20 years old.  Europe were warring amongst themselves since time began so some records are quite old.

good luck.
Rena

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena:

My Mays arrived in N.Y. Colony in 1709 - left Rotterdam on "3rd ship" - not sure what that means, but think a large number of Palatines went to England with some going to Ireland and then a large number to the New York Colony.  I have scads of information on this May family in NY and then in Canada.  The grandson of the immigrant Mays was a loyalist who fought with Butler's Rangers.  Would like to find out where this family lived in Prussia or??  wherever - Niedlehause? or ???  Also trying to trace another Grandfather - 4x who seems to have been a Hessian - demobbed in Quebec & settled in Argenteuil area after the Revolution 1780-1790's). 
I managed to get Jones' book on the Irish Palatines, but couldn't get the other one - too expensive to purchase at $95.00 U.S. - not availa through ILL.  Thanks again for your information.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 02:28 BST (UK) »
Have looked for your surname in British archives under Mayer, Meyer, Meier:

Searched British archives up to 1750 (in case there was a war pension)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

MEYER -several mentions of Meyer surname in English court cases in 1700's plus references to Prussia in the State Papers
1704 Sep 01-1704 Sep 30
To Marlborough from Count Wratislav: Baron Meyer, formerly the elector's minister in England has arrived, representing the electress of Bavaria. Wratislav has told him that the terms previously offered are no longer available, and he has returned to report to the electress. Wratislav awaits his return. ff. 151, 152
-------
MAYER - several mentions, a couple under ref SP (state papers) mentions Russia.
------
MEIER - no reference to Germans/Prussians/Hessians
----
You should have copied and pasted 'Niedersachsen' - it's easier to spell that say.  'sachsen' means northern Germany 'saxon' - as in Anglo Saxon means English Saxon.

I have no knowledge of early Eastern Germany or Hessians/Palatines.  Although some Americans on the rootsweb hannover-l email list mention their researches every so often.
 Cheers,
Rena

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: Niedersachsen Archive site
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena:

This is an excerpt on the May family that Phyllis sent me:

I. PETER 1 MAY was born in Germany. He married Dorita.

Notes for PETER MAY:
The NY Emigrant family was Peter May and his wife and 4 children on Capt. Johan Ranneld's ship in the 3rd party in Holland in 1709. ( Rotterdam lists) On the ships roll he is listed next to Reysdorff and family. Johann Peter was probably from Niederhausen, Germany. Johann Peter made his first appearance on the Hunter lists 4 Aug l710 with 2 pers over 10 yrs of age and 3 pers. under 10 yrs of age. The family showed 3 over 10 and 3 under 10 31Dec1710, 3 pers over 10 and 2 under 10 on Mar 25, 1711, and 2 pers over 10 and 2 under 10 29Dec1711. The 25 Mar 1712 entry went down to lover 10 and 2 under 10, and then returned to 2 over 10 and 2 under 10 on 24Junl712.

Peter was naturalized on 8&9Sep1715 (Kingston Flats) Peter Mayen's widow was noted with 3 children at Hunterston ca. 1716/1717 ( Simmendinger Register) .Doritee Mayen was a Palatine debtor in 1718 and 1721 (Livingston Debt Lists).
The Dalsheim registers, which begin in 1692 for Ref. and 1706 for Lutheran, call the w/o Johann Peter May, Magdalena.

I believe some of this info was extracted from a book written by Jones.  If anyone on the list wants more infomation on Jones, will look up his whole name & where to order etc.   It is obvious that considerable info exists in the U.S. on these early immigrants.  Jones' work on the Irish Palatines is quite well done.

Lauraine