Author Topic: Plunkett family  (Read 20035 times)

Offline penne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Plunkett family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 January 16 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kymberley
Thomas was born in Northern Ireland and he was in the British Army and was stationed in Malta where the children were born.
He was part pensioned off in 1823 and went to NSW where he was the superintendant of the Convict Barracks later over to Liverpool where he superintended the Liverpool Lunatic Asylum.. Many trees have his father as a RC Patrick and mother Louisa Henry which is impossible as Louisa was about 9 when Thomas was born, and they married about 20yrs after Thomas's death. On going blog Plunketts Downunder Google it.

Offline penne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 January 16 06:59 GMT (UK) »
I am just new to this and I have found out that we are family of Thomas and Susannah, from their son who was born in Malta, are they Maltese or just living their when they were born??
Not Maltese, just living there

Offline penne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 January 16 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Is the following the same THOMAS Plunkett being discussed here? 

Any corrections or additions would be welcomed. 

Could this be Thomas' Grandfather?
JAMES Plunkett d. July 1775 Rocksavage, Co
Monaghan. LDS/FHL Film 178154 (Male endowments /w heir index, v. A, 3 Dec 1919), p 188, Ref # 5134

And Thomas' father?
JAMES Plunkett b ca 1750 Rocksavage, Co Monaghan; m. _?_ PIERS July 1775 _, Co Westmeath
******** below is my family Jone. As non Catholic i do not think closely connected, but may have changed for some reason..............
THOMAS Plunkett b ca 1775 Co Monaghan, Ireland m. 1800 to Susannah CRAWFORD in Killeevan.
Thomas’ siblings:
_ MARY
_ JAMES stayed in Ire, 1 dau
_ EDWARD went to the U.S.
_ GEORGE lived in father’s old place up country.
Note: James & "father" lived in a small area off Union St, Belfast known as "Plunketts Court" consisting of 6 small houses.

Note: "Northern Ireland in this era included County Monaghan.

Not all the posts in this thread with new information contain dates, places or relationships ... and I'm desperate for facts, if for no other reason than a process of elimination via identification.  Thanks!

Jone
Searching for the family of Mary Plunkett (GG-Gm) who married Patrick Byrne of Leitrim, Co Monaghan circa 1820-1839, RC - St. Michael's, Corduff or St. Mary's in Carrickmacross Town.

Offline penne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 October 16 03:10 BST (UK) »
Regarding your question re whether your Mary is connected, apart the letter written to Thomas, and his Army records, little is proven.
Apparently DNA has some links to Catholic Plunketts which ours were not. happy to accept a change of religion occurred.
Talking of DNA c'mon Plunketts lets get our genes sorted.

Offline penne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 October 16 03:12 BST (UK) »
I also know my Thomas's brother James lived in Belfast in the mid 1800s, also living with him was his father, who I believe was George.

Offline LynHotchin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 January 20 03:23 GMT (UK) »
I too have Plunkett cousins.

There is a bit of a mystery here!
These known Plunkett cousins I have descend from Carlisle Bruce Plunkett and his wife C Parsons 1907-2000. Her mother was A Parsons 1876-1930, grandmother Susan Gibson 1846-1930, her father James Robert Gibson 1825 - 1860 who was the son of the Rev James Gibson of Lislooney Presbyterian Church in Ireland  for 34 years.
Many known Plunkett cousins who share DNA with me and we know where we are connected
(the closest being Edward George Plunkett), also share DNA with other family connections found  in the Tydavnet/ Clones/ Killen areas of County Monaghan. These are Catholic families. But I am intrigued to know where the connection might be!
Best wishes to all.