Author Topic: Helping decipher a name  (Read 8401 times)

Offline skeletonkeys

• RootsChat Member
  • I've become nuts on genealogy
    • View Profile
Helping decipher a name
« on: Wednesday 10 November 04 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi roots experts. I am having trouble reading a marriage certificate that I ordered and wondered if you could help.  Below I've attached the image and the paper version isnt much better!  Could anyone help identify what Charles henry's father's first name was and also his occupation.

It looks like he was a Miller but not sure. 

Thanks

Helen
Walford - York, London,Stratford St Mary, Great Wilbraham
Cantle - Maesteg, Bitton, Keynsham
Hawker - Bradford Peverel, Mosterton,Thorncombe
Phillips & Rees - Pembrokeshire
Davies - Glamorganshire
Jones - Cwmavon
Hind & Lowe - Whitwell, Derbyshire
Sanderson - York
Leitch - Pittessie, Collessie,
McWilliam - Port Glasgow
Beck - Dumfries, Port Glasgow
Birkett - Collessie, Abdie

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Helping decipher a name
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Looks a bit like cartman to me or could be coalman

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 10:34 GMT (UK) »
We have had this several times - it is Carman. For what it is worth the other occupation is Miller.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I think you are safe with Miller. The name, well, looks like it starts with an S (compare to the Smith below Miller). Saunford? Maybe it is one of those tricky surnames-as-first-names?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Occupation is Carman - definitely a Miller as occ for father - father's first name looks like Fannford - have tried an 1881 search though and can't come up with it.
Cheers Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I would say Miller for the occupation.

The beginning letter looks like an "S" the inbetween looks something like "ruil" & the end is "Ford" (compared with the surname)
Sruilford!
 ???

I would suggest a look up search for Walford's in the region in both the 1851 & 1861 census, something may become obvious when seeing the results. If you cannot find anything I would also search for the witnesses name Helen Walford, as that may yield results.....Let us know how you get on

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Miller and Carman certainly.....I am going to disagree with the name...I think his name is Gainsford...I think the first letter is a bit suss but i am convinced that from there on it is ainsford ....The sole reasoning for G is I have heard the name Gainsford b4...I have never heard Sainsford Fainsford or Jainsford....lol
Kris  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Think I'll give you that one Kris! And there is a Gainsford Gibling Walford bpt 1800 in Essex on the IGI. Nice name eh!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 12:51 GMT (UK) »
lol...loves it...we must b on a real roll here Gardener...u champ u.....Will c what the others think...especially devoted....Just tried to work out what the first letter may have been to go with what i could c the rest of the name as ...and the only one that made any sense to me was Gainsford... ;D smiling as usual but this board here is really llllllllllooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg and its hard to foillow it 2 the end.....Kris  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk