Author Topic: Orphanage, London Colney  (Read 21538 times)

Offline Mazm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Orphanage, London Colney
« on: Thursday 19 October 06 22:58 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me if there was an orphanage in London Colney?

It is believe that 4 children of the same family were sent to an orphanage in London Colney and 2 to an orphanage in Lancashire.  They were placed in the orphanage sometime after 1927, unfortunately none of the 4 are still alive.

If it did exist or in fact still does, is it possible to get information about the orphanage and also these 4 particular children that were placed there.

Many thanks for any help

Regards
Maz
Baker, Binns, Butcher(s), Cox, Oyler, Evans, (Finch), Fisher, Funnell, Green, Gibbs, Lambsden, Lilly, Miller,  Mumford, Paddy, Perry, Quinnell, Simons, Southall

Birmingham, Kent, Lancashire, Middlesex, Sussex, West Derby

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanage, London Colney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 06 13:33 BST (UK) »
The only place I can think of which might fit the bill is the All Saints Pastoral Centre in London Colney, which used to be a convent.  May be the nuns took in orphans  ??? ??? 
http://www.allsaintspc.org.uk/

There is a 'London Colney Local History Society' who may be able to help you.  The link below gives details of contact numbers
http://www.hertsdirect.org/comdirectory/comvol/herit2y/hthist3y/11703104

I'll see if I can find out any more - I  know the St Albans library has books on the history of London Colney.  So I'll see what they say.
Julie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline lifes too short

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 06 15:27 BST (UK) »
I popped into London Colneys library on the way back from shopping (only live about 2 miles away) to see if I could find out any more info on orphanages in the surrounding area. It is only a small library and not many records however I did find a folder with various info on the All saints pastoral centre that was mentioned before.  In 1901 the convent moved down from London to All Saints. It was definitely a orphanage and in 1908 a separate building was built (St Gabriels) for 30 children. It states that no refusal was made on religious grounds.  In 1924 an additional wing St Raphaels was built and further wings added in 1927 ( St Annes).  The children were sent to local schools. In 1973 the sisters moved to Birmingham and the property was purchased by the Archbishop of Westminster for use as a pastoral centre. I have written a note that says the orphanage of St Gabriels is now occupied by the Volunteer Missionary movement but I may of written this wrong or it could be out of date info. There are no records of the children names etc but St Albans family records office may have some more info. They may not be able to divulge this due to 100 year act though  ???  Taking into account the size of London Colney I think there is a very good chance that this where these children were likely to have stayed. How you find out could be challenging! Hope this is of some help......

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 06 15:53 BST (UK) »
Well done 'lifes too short' - interesting info.  I thought nuns and orphans would be a likely match  ;D
We must live quite close to each other!
Perhaps if we had some names and estimated birth dates Maz we could follow this up in local directories and electoral registers.  The main library in St Albans also has the parish registers for London Colney on microfilm.
Julie

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
White (Bucks)

Offline lifes too short

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 October 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

I live in Park Street just outside of St Albans so London Colney is pretty close. Been having a think and looking on the web but not much springs to mind.  St Albans library probably has more info but would there be registers for the 1920's ? I did look at the National archives records and they have some info but not for the same period or any lists of childrens names. It did show a closure period of 30 years though so if the info is to be found then maybe it can be seen if you know what I mean  :o Were electoral rolls only for adults ?? if so then the children won't be shown.  If we could have some more info then we could have a look further.

BFN Clare

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 06 17:59 BST (UK) »
Good point - I'm not sure the parish registers are as recent as 1920's. 
The electoral roles and directories are indeed just adults, but I was thinking of seeing if they stayed in the local area once they left the orphanage.   There is also archives of the local paper that would cover the period, but you need a good idea of the date you're looking for as there are a lot to trawl through - believe me I've done it!!  If they did stay in ther area we may be able to find marriages or deaths there.  The churchyard at London Colney has an index of all its graves up to around 1980, so that's another possible source.
I suspect any information on the children at the actual orphanage would be held at HALs
http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/
It may be worth a phone call.  I have always found them extremely helpful.

Julie

PS I live in St Albans - I was in Park Street yesterday at How Wood school!!

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
White (Bucks)

Offline Mazm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 October 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
What can I say, except a very big thank you to Julie and Clare.  I am rather taken aback by the quick response.

I am researching this for a friend of mine and she will be so thrilled with it all.  I am going to pass it all on to her and let her off the leash to take it further! ;D

Many many thanks, will let you know how she gets on if you like?

Regards to both
Maz
Baker, Binns, Butcher(s), Cox, Oyler, Evans, (Finch), Fisher, Funnell, Green, Gibbs, Lambsden, Lilly, Miller,  Mumford, Paddy, Perry, Quinnell, Simons, Southall

Offline JanetteO

• RootsChat Member
  • Susan Bailey born Chester, Cheshire father Edward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 04:42 GMT (UK) »
I must say I actually drove in to the Pastoral Centre in the summer as I could see its magnifigance from the road... it really is a wow factor place. I followed the link that was left for you and it really doesn't show it to its best.

I live in South Mimms, not far from London Colney, if you want any pictures just give me a shout, as I'd love an excuse to go back and take some pictures. We didn't even get out of the car but we could feel the awe and wow factor, it's a beautiful place.

Being a young child and sent there to live, I can just imagine those childrens eyes popping out of their heads in wonder!

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
 Okeman, Oakeman, Oakman, Smith, Allwright, Carrington, Skelton, Skilton, Watts, Morrell, Bailey, Griffen, White, Hammett, Bird, Canham, Carey, Carter, Griffen, Borer, Budd, Almond, Archer, Kemp, Bluett, Aldridge, Kerr, Elliott, Gosling, Moser, Robson, Austin, Ward, Jones, Tatt, Bayford, Overall, Greenham, Coffey, Westrop, Wyatt, Egan, Oickle, Newman, Stanley, Norton, Gore

Offline Mazm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Many many thanks for your offer and comments.  I have this morning emailed my friend - you will never guess where she is going today? - yes correct.  How amazing is that. 

She thanks you very much for the offer but can now take pictures herself.  She is also going to ask a few question if she can.

Regards to everyone for their help

Maz