Author Topic: Orphanage, London Colney  (Read 21536 times)

Offline yodagolddog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanage, London Colney
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 February 08 09:41 GMT (UK) »
HI,
I can only add, I had a friend at school who came from the orphanage, and the children were sent to London Colney Secondary school (now closed down)
I was at the school from 1967 to 1973. she was taking in and fostered by a local family in 1973 when the orphanage closed.
regards
Kim

Offline tarraga1

• I am sorry my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 August 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
hi maz re your question about the orphanage in london colney  it was st gabrials/st raphals at all saints convent run by sisters of the poor,I know this because my brother sister and myself lived there from 1952 untill1960 when I was moved to another home called the hollies in sidcup i can tell you as much information and names of some of the children who were there during my time and was there yesterday visiting for the first time in 50yrs and was saddened by what is happening to it now,as i have many very happy memories of it during my time,i hope this info is of use to you but please get in touch if you need any more info 

Offline renpeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 September 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
All Saints was definitely run as an orphanage in the 1920's.  My mother and aunts were all there.  One of them is still alive.  She says that the nuns were strict but kind.  The children all went to local schools and left to go to work places wherever they could be found.  My mother went to a large house as a trainee nanny.  Some went to relatives, who took them in whilst they found work.
The 3 children were not actually orphans, but the family was very poor.
You probably are aware of all of this by now, as the post is old, but I have only just joined and seen it.

Offline mitch789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 February 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
hi maz re your question about the orphanage in london colney  it was st gabrials/st raphals at all saints convent run by sisters of the poor,I know this because my brother sister and myself lived there from 1952 untill1960 when I was moved to another home called the hollies in sidcup i can tell you as much information and names of some of the children who were there during my time and was there yesterday visiting for the first time in 50yrs and was saddened by what is happening to it now,as i have many very happy memories of it during my time,i hope this info is of use to you but please get in touch if you need any more info

Offline mitch789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 February 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm really sorry that your email is not working. I hope that you may read this, I have searched for any details regarding my time spent in an Anglican convent in St Albans area c 1950-3 if possible I would like to hear from you to try & work out the reasons I went there.  Thank you

Offline rose boorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 19:18 GMT (UK) »
    All saints was a girls home to my knowledge in 1937  girls went to Shenley school until about 1939 when schools were split & moved to London colney,  the orphanage part was moved into the convent when a hospital school was evacuated to All saints in the war,  the girls were then housed in the convent.    St. Annes was a part of the convent for elderly Nuns,  & a .part was also a training place for girls. the grounds were extensive. In wartime the basement was used as an air raid shelter for the girls .   

Offline mitch789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 21:50 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thank you so much for replying to my query-any snippet helps & I shall try down that root.

Offline rose boorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 22:08 GMT (UK) »
 :)
:) Thank you so much for replying to my query-any snippet helps & I shall try down that root.
      hope you have some luck finding information you need .I was at All Saints   from 1937 until 1941 ,& have many memories

Offline mitch789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again-the years that I was there c49-52 don't warrant  a mention other than those that are not relevant. I was only told that I was in a convent in St Albans-I may be barking up the wrong tree! but because I was Bap. C of E- that is why I thought  it would be All Saints. Will keep you posted if any developments.