Author Topic: No idea where to find records for Charles Price UK- Canada ?Toronto  (Read 3388 times)

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
No idea where to find records for Charles Price UK- Canada ?Toronto
« on: Friday 20 October 06 16:29 BST (UK) »
Having searched the passenger lists that I can find on-line, I'm at a loss as to where to go next.

I have a CHARLES PRICE b 1850 Isle Of Wight & his wife MATILDA MARY PRICE b 1846 Isle Of Wight.  They were in England for the 1871 census.  At some point between 1871 & 1881 they went to Canada & returned.  The 1881 census has them back in England with a daughter ALICE b 1876 CANADA. 

They must have returned before 1879, as my Great Grandmother, Ellen, was born here in 1879.

The 1891 census shows Alice as being born in Toronto, Canada.   The family went onto name cottages that they built 'Toronto Cottages', so Toronto seems to fit.  But why would they come back???

If anyone can give me any info whatsoever, then maybe I can regain a sense of normality in my life...until the next little 'why did they do that?' crops up!!  Isn't this fun?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this,

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: No idea where to find records for Charles Price UK- Canada ?Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 06 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

Here is the birth registration for:

Alice May Price
Date of Birth:  October 29, 1875
Father:  Charles Price
Mother:  Matilda Midlane (?)
Informant:  Matilda Price, 130 Markham Street, Toronto, Ontario
Reg. No. 037620

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
Oh Karen, thank you so Much.  Yes, Matilda was a Midlane prior to marriage...her father (Thomas) was a convicted smuggler several times over.  I've just found out that Charles' father, John PRICE, Bricklayer/house builder, may have taken the family out to Canada & returned them.  Sorry to be so vague but some of the info is coming from John's Grand-daughter who is now in her late 80's...bless

Again, many thanks & if ever you need a Southampton or Hampshire look up, just shout.

D xx
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 06 17:45 BST (UK) »
The occupier of 130 Markham St. throughout the 1870s is Terence Collins, plasterer. Perhaps the Prices were boarding there? 

Toronto City Directories:  http://digitalcollections.torontopubliclibrary.ca:8000/
(Click on GO, then choose York and Toronto City Directory Pages. Enter 130 w1 markham in the search box (= find 130 within one word of the word markham) to find the right page quickly.)

There are both John and Charles Prices listed as bricklayers, but at different addresses.  It is such a common name so it is hard to tell if they are "your" Prices.  (Use john n2 price or charles n2 price to find them quicker = john or charles no more than 2 words away from the word price)

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 06 18:51 BST (UK) »
Wow, what a brilliant web site...I'd never have found it.  I've had a quick peek, but am just on my way out, so I'll play around with it tomorrow.

Many thanks, you've been a HUGE help!  Thank you for taking an interest.

Debbie