Author Topic: eastmeath  (Read 14884 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Re: eastmeath
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary, we have lived in the area since 1977, working at Vanguard Plastics, Millbrook Rd uptill 2000, then semi retired
The address for birth cert. (Irish)- General Registars Office, Lombard St. Dublin
                                    Regards Tony
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline marykins

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • GERAGHTY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
thanks tony.if u see shaun or ken geraghty around oldcastle tell them ollys daugher was asking after them.
p.s i have a copy of the 1901 census for Oldcastle .it states oldcastle is north meath.
regards mary
Geraghty co Cavan/Meath/Wigan
Brigdale Ennis co Clare
Carr co Mayo
Kelly monahan/st Helen's
Duffy monahan/st Helen's
Parr   st Helen's
Wilson st Helen's
Conlon meath/cavan
Armstrong meath/cavan
Masterson meath/cavan

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCann / Gibney -- Meath 1800's
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 September 07 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony / Bodger,
       Have you ever been able to come across any connections to John McCann of "Eastmeath" born 1828 -- are there any McCann's currently in this area that date back to 1820's to ~1847 or 1848 when John McCann immigrated to USA. If you come across any could you tell me how to contact them or have them e-mail me ??  Were you able to find any McCann / Gibney connections ? -- Thomas Gibney of "Eastmeath" immigrated to USA and married Margaret McCann in early 1850's.   
    Thank You -- Patrick M. McCann, USA

Offline MikeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 September 07 23:42 BST (UK) »
At one time(long ago) there were five provinces in Ireland,  'Meath' being one of them -  it   was later divided into the present counties of  Meath and Westmeath.  There is no "eastmeath" as such, but it would refer to the coastal region (which is not very much, in Co. Meath),  so it would depend on how far inland one wished to go !   Oldcastle is in the northern part of the county, well away from the coastal region...... 40+ miles from the sea.
General Register Office is Lombard St, Dublin 2, but there is now a 'decentralised' office, in Roscommon, for postal applications. Look up GRO, and there is a website.
                                        MikeW.

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCann's / Gibney's of "Eastmeath" / Meath
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 July 14 05:38 BST (UK) »
Finally found an old map online that shows "Eastmeath" as all of present day Meath !!  Not sure what year they changed it to just Meath but that means my McCann's could have lived anywhere in Meath during the early to mid 1800's. These McCann's had ties to the Gibney's also of "Eastmeath" -- John McCann born 1828 -- Thomas Gibney born 1827.  Anyone have ties to these families or info ??
  Thanks -- Pat

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
Re: McCann's / Gibney's of "Eastmeath" / Meath
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 July 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Finally found an old map online that shows "Eastmeath" as all of present day Meath !!  Not sure what year they changed it to just Meath but that means my McCann's could have lived anywhere in Meath during the early to mid 1800's. These McCann's had ties to the Gibney's also of "Eastmeath" -- John McCann born 1828 -- Thomas Gibney born 1827.  Anyone have ties to these families or info ??
  Thanks -- Pat

That is fantastic news for your IrishLoft, I have not posted here in many years but hope to get back into my own family history soon.

There is a pub named the Huntsman in Gormanston, County Meath - Gormanston would be 'east' Meath i.e. near the coast.  Here is a link to there facebook page:  https://en-gb.facebook.com/gibneysgormanston.huntsman - the front of the pub says 'Jack Gibney' .. might be worth checking out the history of this pub and who owned/owns it.  You never know.
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland