Author Topic: 1951 look up for Patrick Brophy in Manchester  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1951 look up for Patrick Brophy in Manchester
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 October 06 01:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know, that's saved me a few pounds. My only hope of getting his date of birth is to either find it on his grave stone or track down some other document that would have it on. Is it possible to obtain a copy of a medical card for example, or do you have any better idea's.

If I can be of any assistance to you please let me know as I really do appreciate your help.

Regards
John.
Names found so far in my family tree are:
Brophy, Henry, Gilcrist, Keoghan, Williams, Peasley.
Gilcrist could be spelt Gilchrist, not too sure yet.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 October 06 01:35 BST (UK) »
A medical card pre-1852 - I doubt it.

The death cert will tell you who reported the death and their relationship to him.  It will also tell you where he died.

Do you know for sure that he has an actual gravestone?   

Whilst many gravestones show a full DoB - there are many that just show a year of birth or an age on death.  It's a chance you will have to take
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 October 06 08:31 BST (UK) »
I don't know if there is a grave stone with a full DOB I'm just hoping. If there isn't, I think I've come up against a brick wall for now.

Ambley did say he may have been in the Army but I have no recollection of my dad mentioning that. Anyhow I will keep digging, something must turn up sooner or later.

Regards
John.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 December 06 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

How is your search going?

Form earlier in this topic:
Patrick did have a son called Robert in his first marriage, he may have had other children too, but I know nothing of that side of the family.

Have you tried to trace this first marriage and family; a first marriage certificate could tell you Patrick's  father's name at least. The birth of Robert would tell you his mother's name to look for a marriage match.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 December 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ambly,
                       I have not done any research for a few weeks now as I have been very busy with work. I can tell you that I found my granddad's grave stone at southern cemetery, unfortunately no date of birth marked on, only date of death, 21/02/52.

I haven't tried to trace his first family because I do not know what his wifes name was, or when and where they were married. I assume he would have been married somewhere in Ireland probably Dublin. The only thing I know about his first marriage is that he had at least two sons, I don't know about any daughters. One son was called Bob or Robert and the other was called George. So I haven't got a lot to go on at the moment.

I have ordered the book from the library which was suggested to me in an earlier message, it gives a list of the Dublin metropolitan police. I am hoping it will give details of my great granddad and his family. If so it may help me to tie some information together. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get this book. I will let you know if I find anything.

Regards
John.

Offline fullmonty

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 January 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
i am chris brophy.grandson of patrick joseph brophy.who was born 9th of may1876.buried in southern cemetry manchester1952.his father was james brophy and mother mary brophy formely smith.he was born in coombe hospital dublin.fathers adress was64 the coombe dublin.patrick was orphaned at a early age and was brought up by a uncle who was indeed a dublin police officer.he went to sea at 14 as a cabin boy.sailed around the world 3 times.returned to ireland and married and had a family.he was by this time a staunch republican.but fled ireland never to return.leaving his family behind.after a bounty was put on his head.settled in liverpool .met anne gilchrist.formely shaw.they lived together never married.moved to manchester where they brought up 2 sons.two of his sons from his marrage in ireland.bob and i think tom later settled in bury and rochdale areas.hope this helps.chris.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 23:19 GMT (UK) »
superb Fullmonty I hope th original poster comes back and see's your reply
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,