Author Topic: 1951 look up for Patrick Brophy in Manchester  (Read 8213 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1951 look up for Patrick Brophy in Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 06 22:26 BST (UK) »
There is definitely no James Brophy b 1925 but there is a James P Gilchrist in the June quarter of 1925 Glossop Volume 7B Page 1520 but mothers maiden name is shown as Shaw

If your fathers birth was not registered until a couple of weeks after his birth, it would fall in the June quarter

Only the mothers maiden surname is shown-not her christian name- and there was definitely no birth registration for a James Brophy with a mothers surname of either Gilchrist or Brophy in 1925. 

I looked on the full GRO index from 1924-1926 and the only James Brophy was James L Brophy mothers maiden name Brophy March quarter 1924 West Derby Liverpool 8B 802.   

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 October 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
CaroleW, thank you for all your efforts. I have found my grandmothers death certificate and it states a maiden surname of Gilcrist but this could be the registrars guess at the spelling. The only thing I can do is try and get a copy of my fathers birth certificate, but if its not on this GRO index does that mean the birth was not registered. Anyhow I will follow the link to the GRO index you gave, to see if I can turn anything up. If I find anything I will post it here.

Regards
John.
Names found so far in my family tree are:
Brophy, Henry, Gilcrist, Keoghan, Williams, Peasley.
Gilcrist could be spelt Gilchrist, not too sure yet.

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 October 06 00:31 BST (UK) »
I have just realized, my Gran was born in Liverpool, and as she gave birth while travelling through Glossop she may have still been living in Liverpool at that time 1924 -25. Perhaps she registered the birth in Liverpool, that's the only explanation I can think of. The year discrepancy may just be someones error when stating his date of birth.

Regards
John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 October 06 01:28 BST (UK) »
John

There is no James Brophy born anywhere between 1924-1926 with a mothers maiden name of Gilchrist/Gilcrist.
The only one with a maiden name of Brophy is the one I posted details of in my last reply.  As it was registered in Liverpool in 1924 it may be him but he was James L Brophy not James J

As you know his parents names, you could always send for a copy of the birth cert but put a condition on your application that you only want it if the parents were Patrick & Ann/Annie.  If it’s the wrong one – you will only be charged a search fee which I think is around £3-£4

Alternatively - you may have been given the wrong birthyear so it may be an idea to search the GRO index for births 1922-1923 and 1927-1928 just in case
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 October 06 01:58 BST (UK) »
I have just been looking at that GRO index and as you say my father does not seem to be listed, but neither does George Brophy either, it seems a bit strange. I will look at more years in case the year is wrong as you said, and try and obtain a birth certificate.

I have managed to confirm that my grandmother was called Gilchrist as I looked her birth record up on that GRO index which is very useful. Thanks for all your help, I will keep you posted on any progress I make.

Regards
John.

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
I visited my mother today, she told me that for a time Patric Brophy and Annie Brophy / Gilchrist lived in Scotland, Glasgow she thought. This leads me to think that my dad James Brophy and his half brother George Brophy may have had their births registered in Scotland.

Is there a similar index to the GRO one for Scotland that I can look up. If not is there any other way to confirm if my fathers birth was registered in Scotland.

Regards
John.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 October 06 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is an extract from the Scottish GRO website

To respect privacy of living people, internet access has been limited to birth records over 100 years old, marriage records over 75 years, and death records over 50 years.

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 October 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW,
                            I've just come across the Scottish GRO web site and found that statement. It looks like I would have to write to them or email them so they can do a search for me. I don't think I would get any real useful information from a copy of the birth certificate, except it may indicate to me where may grandparents were living at that time.

Appart from trying to dig out old documents at home, I think my next step would be to try and find my grandads grave to see if there is a date of birth on it. If not I should be able to send off for his death certificate which will have his date of birth on.

I also found out from my mother that Patrick worked as a painter in Liverpool, possibly on the docks. His last form of employment was as a Hotel proprietor of the Brofield commercial hotel, 79, Cecil Street, Manchester. I do have an old newspaper clipping somewhere which I have been trying to find. It shows a picture of the brofield hotel, as during the war a large bomb came down on a parachute, fortunately it did not explode. It did considerable damage as it went through the building all the way to the basement. It then had to be dug out once it was made safe. I new he ran a hotel but I was not sure if it was Cecil street or Ducie street, my mother seems to think Cecil street. So this is another avenue to explore. I think the news paper was the manchester evening news, but I do not know the date, of the article.

Regards
John.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 October 06 00:41 BST (UK) »
If not I should be able to send off for his death certificate which will have his date of birth on.

A 1952 death cert will NOT have his date of birth on it - only his age on death which you already have