Author Topic: Owen/Owens in Anglesey  (Read 46709 times)

Offline Rich32825

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Owen/Owens in Anglesey
« on: Saturday 21 October 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
Many of us are research their Owen/Owens families from Anglesey and we don’t seem to connect. I find it humorous that there are so many descended from such a small island. So, I thought I’d re-post some of what I have in hopes that we Owen descendants can finally come together.

John Owen married Elizabeth Williams and lived on the farm called Henblas in Llanfihangel yn howyn. . John may have had a sister Anne Owen born abt. 1783 in Langridge. She died  on 2/6/1874. She is believed to have married Richard Williams on 9/25/1929 in Llanfihangel Esgeifiog. Richard was born in 1781.

John and Elizabeth had at least 8 children:  Anne (born 1/1818), Elizabeth (1/1819), John and Margaret (both 4/1821), Mary (7/1823), Jane (4/1825) Thomas (1830) and Owen (6/1834).

The above info was from parish records. The 1841 census has only John II and Elizabeth living at Henblas, everyone else has disappeared.

I have only been able to go further with John II and Thomas.  John married Jane, born abt. 1821 and died 11/2/1865. John died 8/26/1897.  Their children: John (born 1846), Anne (1852), William J. (1854), Griffith (1857) and Richard (1860)

Thomas married Elizabeth Jones, born abt. 1835 in Rhoscolyn and died 6/20/1877. Their children: Jane (born 1859), Elizabeth (1862), John (1864), Richard (1868), Margaret (1870), Hugh (1872), Ellen (1874) and Robert (1877). All born in Rhoscolyn.

I have some info on parts of the fourth  and beyond generations, but these time frames seem to be what some of us are looking for. I hope this helps. If any long lost cousins are out there, please let me know.

Thanks,

Richard Owens         ;D

Owen, Owens, Wright, Roberts, Ross, Griffiths, Greenfield, and more

"The Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline glen o

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen/Owens in Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
iam rooting elizabeth williams and robert  owen your right the names are so common on anglesey it makes hard to trace sometimes i trace wrong family  cheers glenys owen
owen and  williams   anglesey          brooks lancs  sporston cheshire

Offline Mr-Tomcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
If this helps my mother was Owens and has Jones and Pritchard in the family, from Holyhead.

Andrew.

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 October 10 16:49 BST (UK) »
You may gather from my roots chat name that I am also a descendant of the Anglesey Owen/Owens clan. I share your frustration in trying to link the Owen/Owens of the 18th. century.
I have a comprehensive family tree starting from my Great Great Grandfather Owen Owens to present day. He was born 1810 in the same village of Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn - tempting to assume a family link. The surname changes from Owens to Owen along the years.
My Owen Owens married an Eleanor Hughes in 1838 in Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn, but moved to Llangeinwen before 1841, where he worked as a shoe maker and raised his family.
The only additional information about the marriage from the record office in Llangefni being that his father was called - and wait for it - Owen Owens.

This may not help - but I live in hope of someone eventually linking our Owen/ Owens

Eric Owen

Offline Mr-Tomcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 October 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Ha ha, yes frustrating indeed, but your light hearted take on it makes it easier. I got my mother to join so she can join in at sometime.

Andrew.  :)

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 October 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
hi my mother inlaw is from the owen family from Amlwch many of the family are buried in burwen cemetary amlwch I have quite a lot of info but yet again probably not the Owen you are looking for ,have you tried the Amlwch data site ? or north wales BMD ----Chris

Offline tim99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness, the proliferation of Owens (and Williams and Roberts) on the island has made research into those names very difficult. 

You may be interested to know that in about 1915, one William Owen (1874-1925) decided to adopt the middle name David, in order to 'stand out from the crowd' in his professional life as a barrister/solicitor.  He is more famous as "W.D.Owen" the author of the 1925 smuggling romance Madam Wen, and I know this, because I have written a book about him entitled  "The Rhosneigr Romanticist", which as well as the biography, includes the first ever English translation (abridged) of Madam Wen.  You can read about it on Amazon if you would like to.

It does mean that people researching simple names "William Owen", need to be aware that their birth certificates and death certificates may show different "full" names though.  Such Fun !

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I also have owen in my tree from Anglesey - I think my relation is a sarah owen from holyhead but haven't definitely proved she is the right one as I haven't found a marriage certificate - may have married off anglesey. there are so many of the same name and it is difficult to link all the different bits at times. Good Luck.

Offline laribina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 November 10 23:33 GMT (UK) »
My Taids mother's maiden name was Owen. Her name was Margaret and they lived in Gwyndy Bach, Llandrygarn. She was married to John Parry a farm labourer. My Taid, Richard, was born in 1865. He had 3 brothers I believe. They allleft Anglesey to seek their fortunes.