Author Topic: Owen/Owens in Anglesey  (Read 46708 times)

Offline gaffa712

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen/Owens in Anglesey
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Here are some more Owens from Penrhos Estate and I have some from the Bodeon and Bodior Estates [Rhoscolyn].
John Owen of Plas Ucha in Llanfaethlu, 'of Penrhos'

m. Marsli (dau of Gruffydd ap Howel ap Madog, of Talhenbont)

1.   Thomas Owen of Penrhos
    m. Catherine (dau/heir of William ap Gruffydd ap Gwillim, of Bronheulog)

A.   John Thomas Owen (d by 1663)
    m. Agnes (dau of Hugh Gwyn of Tre'rgof)
   i.   Thomas Owen 'of Penrhos'
    m. Margaret Wynn (dau of Rowland Wynn of Penhesgin, son of Richard, m2. Thomas Kynaston of Ryston)

a.   John Owen 'of Penrhos' (b 1627-8, d 13.06.1712)
    m. Margaret Williams (d 1720, dau of Rev. Hugh Williams of Llantrisant)

(1)   Robert Owen (bur 01.1731)
    m. Anne Wynn (bur 27.04.1748, dau of Rev. Edward Wynn of Bodewryd)

(A)   William Owen of Penrhos (dsp bur 28.04.1733, 2nd son)
    m. Elizabeth Owen (dau of Arthur Owen of Orielton & Bodeon, m2. Hugh Barlow of Llawrenny)

(B)   Edward Owen of Penrhos (bur 20.03.1741, 4th son)
    (C)   Hugh Owen 'of Penrhos' (bur 19.09.1742)
    m. (07.09.1741) Margaret Bold (d 03.09.1800, dau/heir of John Bold of Beaumaris)

(i)   Margaret Owen (bpt 17.08.1742, d 01.021816)
    m. (1763) Sir John Thomas Stanley, Bart of Alderley Park (b 1735, d 29.11.1807)

(D)+   other issue - John (bpt 15.10.1696, bur 09.12.1698), John (dsp 02.06.1726), Thomas, Robert (d 11.174), Hector, Robert (bpt 09.04.1701, d by 1771)
    (2)   Emma Owen (d infant)
    (3)   Margaret Owen (d 11.02.1707)
    m1. Owen Bold of Tre'rddol (dsp bur 02.09.1703)

m2. Robert Wynn of Garthewin (vicar of

Etc Etc
The one that concerns me is Owen Owens c1600 Bodeon or Bodior d 1684 Bodior Estate Rhoscolyn. His father and grandfather were both named John Owen, according to the 1914 Griffiths Pedrigree Charts, but I cannot find any details of these 2 men. Also Hugh Owen of Bodeon/Orielton and his relatives Sir Arthur Owen had property in Rhoscolyn about 1700 any help, gratefully received. Gaffa

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 August 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have Owen/Owens ancestors who came from Llanbadrig?

My earliest definite ancestor was my gg-grandfather Hugh Owen(s) who was born in Llanbadrig in 1811. He lived there until the mid 1850's when he took his family to live in Bangor.

The last known address for Hugh was Tan y Graig which was located between Carrog Farm and the Cemaes Mill on the Llanfechell road. Alas the property has long since gone.

I have put the "s" at the end of his surname in brackets as this would change from Owen to Owens dependent on the documents and the time in his life. Although the spelling of names in the past was not so set in stone as it is today, I do suspect that he may have been an Owen rather than an Owens. Therefore I believe it is not a patronymic surname.

I have a found a potential baptism for him on 12 July 1811 to a Hugh and Catherine Owen of Ty Newydd, Llanbadrig but at this moment I cannot say that this is him. The parish records for Llanbadrig at around this time are in poor condition and so difficult to decipher.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has ancestry from Llanbadrig or has historical knowledge of the area.

Thanks!

100%Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffa712

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 August 14 20:15 BST (UK) »
Yes,
There was another Owen family living in Anglesey about 1530, besides the ones I have previously mentioned. His name was William Owen and his son George, became the 'Lords of Kemys{ Cemais}' they came from Henllys of Nevern Pembrokeshire. William [a Lawyer] purchased the Crown Lands due to Lord Audley's forfeitshire c 1525-1536. I have not followed them any further. However, if you live in Anglesey. Llangefni Archives may have the Hearth & Land Tax documents, Poor rates etc. worth a visit.
 By the way the name has nothing to do with patronymics. In Wales you cannot have a first name the same as the Surname. I.e Owen Owen becomes Owens. William William becomes Williams etc.
Regards
Gaffa

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 August 14 13:14 BST (UK) »
Gaffa,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take up your advice and visit Llangefni archives and see if there are any connections with my family and this particular line of Owens.

By the way the name has nothing to do with patronymics. In Wales you cannot have a first name the same as the Surname. I.e Owen Owen becomes Owens. William William becomes Williams etc.

I always thought the "s" at the end of a surname was just an English version of the Welsh "ap". I was a bit dubious of the comment at first then when I looked through my family tree it stood out like a sore thumb. All my ancestors who had the same forename and surname had an "s" at the end of the surname. The only exception was my uncle who was Owen Hugh Owen but I am guessing the fact there was Hugh in the middle meant the "s" was not required?

Regards,
100%Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cwrwda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
I have numerous Owen Owens within my tree, from Beaumaris and Holyhead. I am currently looking into Owen Hugh Owens, b.1850 Holyhead, a mariner. Married Catherine (Kate) Lloyd from Aberffraw in 1873 and eventually moved to Liverpool.
I have recently discovered that Owen was one of the crew on the Lusitania that was torpedoed in 1915.

Offline Kathleen Owens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I too am researching Owens!  I'm looking for more information on a John Owen (Owens) who came to the US from Rhoscolyn, Anglesley.  He came to the US around 1652 into VA.  I'd love to see if anyone else has a connection to this elusive man!

(*)

Thanks!  Kathleen

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Owens and Truslow - Wales/England
Nestor and Ejsmont - Poland

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 January 15 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I have an Owen in Anglesey :)

Marriage at St Eleth Amlwch 23/1/1821
James Potter to Elizabeth Owen
James was a copper smelter as was his son Thomas
Potter doesn't seem to be a very common name in Anglesey, I haven't found any others around except for this couples 6 children and am now at a dead end.

So if anyone knows more about Elizabeth's family I would love to hear
ARNOLD, PARTINGTON, FOSTER in StHelens
BEBBINGTON, FINDLOW in Northwich
BURROWS,Billinge,Northwich
DUMBILL/DUMBELL, Gt Sankey, St Helens
EDMUNDSON in Northumberland, Warrington, St Helens, Manchester
HENDERSON, Northumberland,St Helens
LIPTROTT, Billinge
BURROWS, Billinge, Northwich

BOAST, Suffolk,Widnes,St Helens :-
http://rattyclan.tribalpages.com/

https://sites.google.com/view/ss-samwater

Offline OGH23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 February 15 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I want a trace not ancestors but descendants (present day if possible) of John Owens known as Jack Owen locally from Llanerchymedd in Anglesey ....he emigrated to Canada (friend) with my Grandfather in March 1913 , enlisted in the Canadian Infantry at Saskatoon in December 1915 ....survived the war and came home via Kinmel Park Camp WALES in 1919 ...hearsay says they settled in Llangefni Anglesey but I'm unable to go any further unless I trawl through children born in that era ...anyone have ideas how to trace descendants to present day , I have photographs of him with his wife Sarah Jane and love to know if their present day family know of his time in Canada  with my grandfather........................ data on their families that I know of are as below ...

"I have found John Owens age 23 born Feb 1894 a private in the army (father Owen Owens an agricultural labourer) marrying Sarah Jane Hughes born 1896 a 21 year old spinster of Ty Newydd Llanerchymedd (father is a farmer named Owen Hughes) on 27th September 1917 in Hyfrydle Chapel at Holyhead. ..also I have a Sarah Owens b.1896 died Dec. 1962 not sure if this is Sarah Jane ...and need to follow up where this burial is at ....
Local History group covering Deganwy, Llanrhos and Tywyn , North Wales

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 March 15 04:18 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ellen Owens in my family tree. She married William Evans ?1828, Anglesey, and her son William Evans was born 1829, Anglesey. I'd love to make contact with anyone with this Ellen Owens in their tree. Donna.