Author Topic: Annie Watson born 1893  (Read 8956 times)

Offline Sunny Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Nil Desperandum
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Watson born 1893
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 October 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I've found an Annie Watson born at about the right time on the Free BMD web site. This Annie Watson's birth was registered in September 1893 in the Pontefract District, it's in Vol 9c page 101.

Please can someone look up the details of this family in the 1901 census. Annie would be 7 or 8.

Thanks to all of you,

Regards,

Sunny Boy
Descendant of James Woodward of Hanborough, John Chawner of Boylestone, Samuel Kitchen of Flockton and George Watson of Bentley. Poet Rupert Brooke. Forbros (Products) Ltd., Acton, Middlesex.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 06 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Obviously we are looking within the Pontefract registration district, not just Pontefract as a town, which could well be a much larger area, also bearing in mind that
Annie would be 7 or 8.
they may well have moved somewhere else.

I'd be happy to give it a try, can you provide the mother's name from the birth certificate and the address where her birth was registered, so trying to find more of a family unit rather than just one little girl, and we'll start over again.

Have you now decided that Annie is this single child, rather than the twin as previously searched for?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Sunny Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Nil Desperandum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 October 06 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello!!

I cannot order a birth certificate until I've found the right Annie, it's like the chicken and the egg, what comes first in this game.

About being a twin, what if the twin was still born or only lived a few hours or days would he/she still have had to have been registered in those days?

Annie was born in June and it appears that this registration was in September, it's in the right area Pontefract and the right year 1893.

Only other help I have is that Annie's fathers name was Thomas Watson.

I know this is very little to go on and there being so many Annie Watson's. It's a very common name in Yorkshire.

Thanks in Advance,

Sunny Boy

Descendant of James Woodward of Hanborough, John Chawner of Boylestone, Samuel Kitchen of Flockton and George Watson of Bentley. Poet Rupert Brooke. Forbros (Products) Ltd., Acton, Middlesex.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 October 06 16:57 GMT (UK) »
If the twin was born alive, even if (s)he only lived for a matter of minutes, then htere will be a birth registration and a death registration.
If (s)he was born dead, a stillbirth, then there wont.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 October 06 17:03 GMT (UK) »

Annie was born in June and it appears that this registration was in September, it's in the right area Pontefract and the right year 1893.

You have her d-o-b as 30 Jun, so it is likely it will be early July before she is registered, and so the Quarter ending September (i.e births registered in July, Aug and Sept) will be the correct one.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 October 06 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Sunny Boy,

I wonder if this family is worth a closer look:

RG13; Piece: 4299; Folio: 121; Page: 33.

It is transcribed as ROTON but it may be mistranscribed  ???  They are in Pontefract and there is an Annie of the right age parents Thomas and Martha siblings Amy, Hilda, John Wm, Martha and Mary.

I can't look up the image for you but someone else might be able to.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sunny Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Nil Desperandum
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 October 06 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pinetree and everyone else who is helping.

That last one looks like a possibility, worth a closer look.

I think we are getting close somehow.

Thanks again,

Sunny Boy

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 October 06 18:13 GMT (UK) »
hello
just had look at annie roton  her father a blacksmith and the name is definateley roton
hol
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline Sunny Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Nil Desperandum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 November 06 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Okey, I've been away to talk to an elderly aunt who remembers Annie, and she has her Death Cert. She died in 1972 and it says that Annie was 79 years old at death.

My elderly aunt who is now 90 says Annie's father's name was Tom or Tommy or Thomas. Annie also had a brother called Tom, Tommy or Thomas who was lost in the Great War.

Annie used to say that when she was a young girl she used to take her fathers meal to him on a plate as he was not allowed to come home. He worked at the pit. He died because he fell while at work. We do not know where this pit was. We know it was in the West Riding. Annie was born in the West Riding. Her name may be slightly different to what we know it. Maybe Ann or Anne.

Her maiden name was Watson.

This is all we know. Not much is it.

Should be in the census of 1901 though. I would be grateful for a look-up.

Many thanks in advance.

Sunny Boy