Author Topic: CHAMBERLAIN Brutton/Cadbury  (Read 18954 times)

Offline diane14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHAMBERLAIN Brutton/Cadbury
« on: Tuesday 24 October 06 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi - Chamberlains
I'm Looking to make contact with anyone who has Chamberlains in their ancestry from Brutton/Cadbury and surrounding areas.

Regards

Diane
Turpin Essex
Harvey Southminster Essex
Challis Essex
Chamberlain North Cadbury Somerset
Knight, Hampshire
Goodchild Hampshire

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chamberlain
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diane,
My husbands grandmother was a Flora Alice Chamberlain b1878 North Cadbury.
"any connection"

Regards, Charmaine

Offline diane14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chamberlains
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 06 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charmaine

Thank you for responding - I had begun to think I was the only Chamberlain descendant left !!!!

I have not yet found a Flora Chamberlain, but the date of her birth suggests she would perhaps be daughter or cousin of one of my gt grandfather Henry's siblings / uncles.  If your husband knows either of Flora's parents names I could probably establish a link - I don't think North Cadbury was so big in the late 1800's!
My gt gt grandfather was George Chamberlain, married to Martha (Reade) they had Arthur, (Henry), Alice, Caroline, Elizabeth, Jane, Sarah John and Walter.

George's parents were Walter & Elizabeth and they had (George) Thomas, William, John, Mary, Edith and Frances.  So there is plenty of potential for some living ancestors !

If you have any other bits 'n bobs pease let me know and I'll do some digging.
Regards
Diane
Turpin Essex
Challis Essex
Knight, Hampshire
Goodchild Hampshire

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 06 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diane,

Flora Chamberlain's parents were.....Elias Chamberlain c1840 and Eleanor ( I believe nee A'Court)
they had Anna, Frank, Susanna, Mary, Herbert, Ada, and Flora

Elias parents were Ambrose Chamberlain c1798 (m) Silvia Baker

I have not found a George Chamberlain or a Walter Chamberlain in my tree, as yet, but with so many Chamberlain's they must be in there somewhere!

Regards, Charmaine

Offline diane14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 06 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charmaine

Thanks for this - I was really excited (saddo!) when you mentioned the A'Court connection.  I have been trying to trace someone with this for a few months.  I saw someones entry in 'CuriusFox' about Chamberlains and A'Courts in Cadbury but there was no response from my enquiry.  They sound as though they should have been wealthy ! and obviously not English ?  I shall see if there is a connection between your tree and mine..

My line ended up in Essex by the way.

Regards
Diane
Turpin Essex
Challis Essex
Knight, Hampshire
Goodchild Hampshire

Offline Stephen12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 July 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I spent a week in North Cadbury researching the Chamberlains.  It lead to a very large family dating back to Richard Chamberlain, who was born in North Cadbury.  Can I be of any help.  I have collected hundreds of Chamberlains in the surrounding areas that link to Richard and hundreds that are yet to be linked.

Andrew Chamberlain born in 1823 came to the US and had 13 children.  The US contingent is quite large.

Regards,

Offline angelcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHAMBERLAIN Brutton/Cadbury
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 07 13:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Diane 14

I think I might have been ther person from curious fox - unable to respond as I didn't renew - anyway looks like you've had feed back from Charmaine - my relation is one of Flora's younger sisters Lilian Chamberlain.  Their mother was Eleanor A'Court who first had a child out of marriage (Ellen Maria A'Court) Eleanor then married Elias Chamberlain they had six daughters and four sons Elias died Eleanor then had my grandma - then she remarried a Jospeh White and had another daughter and another son.

The A'Courts go back to approx 1580's

The Chamberlains are also a realy large extended family  - I have a Frances Chamberlain c1793 marrying a Walter Chamberlain c 1812.

A good man called Sam Miller who lives in North Cadbury is the village historian and he has complied the Chamberlains back to 1535. 

Over the years the cousins have married and there have been a few A'Court - Chamberlain marriages

Hear from you soon

Angelcake
Morgan Petty Wooldridge Foot Hoskins Hopkins Oram Hunt Stainer Cave Andrews - Dorset
Wooldridge - Dorset/Wilts
A'Court Chamberlains Rossiter Cluett Cave Collis Pitter Ridout Foot Hunt Toogood - Somerset
Leeson/Boyes - Cumberland/Ireland
Leeson Boyes Newton Carruthers Ferguson Arnott Pritt Varty Wilson Martin Story- Cumberland
Sandell - Norfolk

Offline diane14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 July 07 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen
Thanks so much for your response.  I am assuming that you are living in America ?
I am particularly interested in Henry Chamberlain (details above on previous mail)  He is my direct blood relative, but like so many surprises in Genealogy, no one knew of his existence until I found him.  Everyone had presumed our granny Edith was the daughter of Charlotte Goodchild and the man she married - Alfred Walker.  No one know she was Henry Chamberlains illegitimate child. I have traced Henry on the census - on board the St Vincent as a Marine in 1891, and working in a shop in 1901 - all the time shown as 'single'  I have not been able to find his death, and I suppose the icing on the cake would be a photo of him, or his siblings to see if there is a family trait.

Are you onlyinterested in the Chamberlains, or would you like some descendant information ?
Regards
Diane
Turpin Essex
Challis Essex
Knight, Hampshire
Goodchild Hampshire

Offline diane14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 July 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Angelcake
Thank you for replying.  As you can see, after a 'quiet' period it's all taken off !  I will have a rummage through and try and establish a link with Elias Chamberlain and my Chamberlains. 

Stephen has obviously had quite a lot of success too !

Does Sam Miller accept enquiries ?  If so, then I will give you a private email so you can let me have his details - he probably wont thank us for puttinghis contact details on this site !!!

Regards

Diane
Turpin Essex
Challis Essex
Knight, Hampshire
Goodchild Hampshire