Author Topic: METCALF Family  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
METCALF Family
« on: Thursday 26 October 06 13:08 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any info on the family of the Reverend Francis William Rucker Metcalf.  On 24 May 1912 a son Francis James Metcalf was born. FJ Metcalf went on to school in South Africa (I suspect his father was sent there?) and then entered Eastbourne College in 1926.

Any information on the Metcalf family would be most welcome.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Offline Dave Simpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: METCALF Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
For a starter ...

Married Q4 1911 District-Hastings to Esdaile Joyce Jackson (I assume that should be Estelle or Esther)

Born Q1 1875 District-Wandsworth

1881 census further clarifies birthplace as Putney (then Surrey now London) living in Great Amwell, Hertfordshire (he does get around) with parents Henry J (age 36)and Mary E (age 34) and siblings

1901 census the parents and daughters Constance and Edith are living in Southborough, Kent but no sign of Francis

The parents, Henry James Metcalf and Mary Emma Skirrow married Q3 1868 District- Hastings
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
SIMPSON - Pytchley, Northants; Hallaton, Leics
KEEVIL - Wilts/Somerset border inc North Bradley & Beckington
MOON - Frome, Somerset
GOUK - All England and Scotland

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. Here is what I've now got if anyone's interested?
He was born in Dorset on 24 May 1912, the son of the Rev. Francis William Rucker Metcalf (Emmanuel B.A. 1897), who at the time of his son’s admission to Emmanuel was living at Wye Vicarage, Ashford, Kent. He was educated at Western Province School, Claremont, South Africa, 1921-24, private tuition 1925-26, and at Eastbourne College from 1926. He went to Emmanuel College in October 1932 and read for an ordinary degree, taking the second principal exam in history in 1933 and obtaining a third class, and a subsidiary subject (unspecified) in the same year. He left the College after the summer term of 1934 and did not graduate. From 1934 to 1936 he was at Bishops Theological College, and from 1937-39 he was an assistant schoolmaster at Boundary Oak Prep School, Purbank, Hants 1937-40.  In WW2 he served as a Lieut RNVR in the N Atlantic and Mediterranean 1941, N Africa and the Med 1942 and in Air-Sea Rescue in 1943-6.From 1947 he was at Broadlands Prep School, Petersfield, Hants.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Offline Dave Simpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Small world!  Boundary Oak Prep School caught my attention as I know it is in Fareham where my parents still live.  I've never heard of Purbank but I found the Boundary Oak School website and the history page says that they used to be sited at Portsdown Lodge in Widley so you must mean Purbrook.  There is more information there which may be of interest to you.
http://www.boundaryoak.co.uk/history.htm

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
SIMPSON - Pytchley, Northants; Hallaton, Leics
KEEVIL - Wilts/Somerset border inc North Bradley & Beckington
MOON - Frome, Somerset
GOUK - All England and Scotland

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 06 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I've dropped Boundary Oak a line about their former pupil without any luck so far. Some people publish email addresses but never look in their inboxes!

I'm meeting Jum's widow soon so I'll be able to get some real good stuff on his life and family which of course I'll put up on here for anyone who's interested.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill