Author Topic: George Davidson Taylor and Mary Jane Lyon  (Read 1773 times)

Offline nomee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Davidson Taylor and Mary Jane Lyon
« on: Thursday 26 October 06 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Nan and Grandad passed away a couple of years ago and they were only in their 70's roughly.

I am trying to find out their parents names as i do not have a clue who they are and my dad has no idea who they are i have searched on ancestry.co.uk but i can only get results for england and wales.

I don't know where they were born but they died in aberdeen in scotland.

They also got married but i don't know when.

Please help :)
Sirnames I'm researching
Broyds,Playels,Broads,Rawlinson's,Cresswells,Pettetts(pettitts),Taylors(england and Scotland),Hills and Humphreys.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Davidson Taylor and Mary Jane Lyon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Nomee

I think you have a problem here, unless you can get to Edinburgh.The online records from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk have date restrictions:

1855 -1905 - births
1855-1930 - marriages
1855-1955 - deaths

They would appear to fall outwith these ranges. I think the best thing to do would be to first try and obtain their death certs from the GROS in Edinburgh and work from there.

Alternatively, you just might be able to get something from  local sources in Aberdeen.

Good Luck!

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bjmalone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you've made progress with this, I have some records about this on ancestry.com.  I think George Davidson Taylor was the brother of one of my great grandfathers, Walter Taylor, born in Rathven, Banffshire.

If you've found out more since you posted this back in 2006, I'd be interested to know.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Nomee hasn't been on the site since November 2006, so not sure if she will get a notification of your message.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
The online index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk tells me that George Davidson Taylor married Mary Jane Lyon in Inverurie in 1953.

There are seven births of George Davidson Taylor between 1885 and 1937, none in Rathven.

There are 14 births of Mary Jane Lyons between 1885 and 1937, none in Rathven. Seven of them had middle names and seven were plain Mary Jane.

Your first step is to get hold of the information on that 1953 marriage certificate. You can't view it online as it is less than 75 years ago, so you either have to order a copy or find someone who is going to a Scotland's People Centre and would be willing to transcribe it for you. When you get it, it will tell you the couple's ages when they were married, and the full names of both sets of parents including their mothers' maiden surnames. Using this you should be able to access earlier marriages and work back from there.

Forget about A******y. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bjmalone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes, I cross check everything on Scotlands People.  Ancestry is just where I've got it all recorded.  Thanks for the note in the link. helpful.