Author Topic: Married in Strean but out past Comber in 1885. - completed  (Read 2000 times)

Offline mark99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Married in Strean but out past Comber in 1885. - completed
« on: Saturday 28 October 06 17:41 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if there is anyone who might have come across during their research why 2 people would have travelled a few to get married for a strange reason other than the usual ones - to go to the womens church etc.  Let me explain:  My GGGF - John Barry b. 1862 lived in from Moneyreagh,  Margaret McMorran, his wife, was from Magherascouse, between Comber & Ballygowan, her family belonged to Ballygown Pres church.  John & Margaret married in Strean Pres church on 12/01/1885 not in Ballygowan, quite a distance in 1885 & not the womens church.  Nothing seems out of the ordinary but the distance.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Married in Strean but out past Comber in 1885.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Some reasons I've come across for getting married in another church-
1. parents don't approve of marriage
2. bride pregnant
3. minister is friend/relative
4. congreagtion is vacant/minister is ill/absent
5. falling out with minister
6. bride or groom married previously
7. even one case where minister didn't approve choice of bridesmaid

Sometimes newspaper announcement is slightly different from what is in marriage register. Worth looking for one, especially if minister is related as this is often mentioned.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline smalexson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Married in Strean but out past Comber in 1885. - completed
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if you have any idea when the McMorran farm was sold to Henry Boyce in Magherascouse.   In his will (he died in 1903) he left the "McMorran farm to his son Arthur Boyce.  If you have any information I would appreciate it.
Best Regards,
Shirley Taylor
White Rock, B.C.

Offline mark99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 June 09 21:21 BST (UK) »
Shirley

Sounds like we have got our McMorrans crossed, though cannot be sure. 

McMorran was a family line I did not do too much research it simply crossed my tree. 

I simply have Matthew 1770 - 1849, Daniel 1813 - 1900?, Margaret - end of my McMorran line as she seemed to be the sole child.  Margaret 1856 - 1927 seemly inherited the farm on her fathers death, though have never been able to confirm this as a will for either Matthew or Daniel alludes me.  Margaret married John Barry in Strean church per earlier post. 

I hope that can shed some light on the McMorrans that I researched & clear up any confusion.  Let me know who you researched & the will you found as it intrigues me.

Mark

Offline Janice Cooke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just wondering if you have been able to find out anything further about Margaret McMorran.  I think she and her husband John Barry are related to my husband.  My mother and Father in law are still living in a family farm previously owned by McMorran and Barry.

Any information appreciated

Janice

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just wondering if you have been able to find out anything further about Margaret McMorran.  I think she and her husband John Barry are related to my husband.  My mother and Father in law are still living in a family farm previously owned by McMorran and Barry.

Any information appreciated

Janice

Hi Janice and welcome to RootsChat...Unfortunately Mark99 hasn't been on RootsChat since 2012 so you may not get a response.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU