Author Topic: Limerick.Galbally and more  (Read 14474 times)

Offline letty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Limerick.Galbally and more
« on: Monday 30 October 06 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for connections to the surnames  mid 1800s +...of Cunningham,Daly,Keough, Fahey/Fahy,Fitzgerald,O'Donnell,Ryan,McGrath Sullivan and more in the townlands of Galbally Village,Annagh,Ardnamoher,Duntryleague and Ballynamona.My gt grandparents are John Cunningham and Johanna Daly mid 1800s from Ardnamoher, there son James Cunningham married Winfred McGrath daughter of Patrick McGrath and Hanora Keough rposs Duntryleague or Annagh

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Limerick.Galbally and more
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Letty,
Phil Cleary's website has a lot of local info on the people of the Galtees including Kilbeheny, Anglesboro and Galbally, so it is worth a look:

http://www.philcleary.com.au/history_kilbeheny_births_marriages.htm

and have a look at his other stuff too, the letters from the Galtees, people, and history.

Good luck!
Mags

PS My Bailey family are from the parish of Kilbeheny just down the road from Galbally, so if you ever come across the name, do let me know!
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline letty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Mags. thank you very much for the help, I will try straight away.I have found it so difficult over the years, because of it being a border region, so will take a good luck into it..bye and thanks again Sheila(Letty)

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Sheila
I know what you mean about it being a border region! Whenever I search for my ancestors, I have to do 3 counties, Cork, Limerick and Tipperary. They originated from Kilbeheny in co. Limerick, which as you will know adjoins Ballyporeen parish in the county of Tipperary; and is also v.close to the Cork border. The postal address for Kilbeheny is actually Mitchelstown, co. Cork.
So three parishes, three counties, two dioceses, etc etc!

Good luck again!
Mags
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline letty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Mags just as a matter of interest.The Fahey family I am looking for, had connections to Fitzgerald in this way.

There was a Richard Fahey  from Ballymorris Bansha with children Richard,Daniel,Patrick,Cathrine and Mary(could be more?) Anyway Danneil Fahey married Ellen Murnane of Cappauniac  they had a Richard Fahey,Thomas, and Mary(only known ones so far)
Mary Fahey married a Pierce Fitzgerald, and although this is not my direct line I know a lady in USA who is a decendant.

My line  I believe comes from Richard Fahey(2) son of the first Richard I have mentioned and brother to Daniel.This Richard  married a Bridget Kennedy, and my task is to find out if their son John is my gt grandfather.I know for sure, and have certs to prove, that other children of this couple are aunts  to my grandmothers, but I am currently in the process of trying to find out who this John married, and if he had a daughter Ellen born 1886.

My grandmother Ellen married a James Cunningham from Galbally, so the geography is similar, and maybe these people were all related.
Sheila

Offline letty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Mags I forgot to mention also, that the lady in America whose grandmopther was Mary Fahey Fitzgerald, told them she came from Ballyporeen...thats interesting isnt it? Sheila

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Sheila
Thanks for all this!
I'll look through and see if any names make connections, and will get back to you (by personal message so as not to clog up your original thread!)
Would like to hear more about the lady in America who mentioned Ballyporeen too, please!

Mags
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline letty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Mags e.mail me on (*) and I will give you something to go on.Sheila

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 07 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I proposed to my wife in Galbally 16 years ago... Her father, Stanislaus O'Brien, and family come from the village and used to own Thomond House pub and grocers (most of the pubs in Galbally have a side trade with the oddest to drink in being Frasers which is a pub and undertakers). Her grandfather, Commandant John Joe O'Brien is commemorated on the Memorial in the village centre. Galbally was a bit of hot bed during the War of Independence....

There are Farrells, Kennedys and Fitzgeralds (plus Kellys, O'Dwyers, Noonans, Carrolls, Frasers and O'Herlihys) in this side of the family with links to Ballyporeen and Mitchelstown.

There are Ryans, McGraths and Fitzgeralds still living in the village.

John

Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally